Buy and hold strategies

7 Replies

Good morning bigger pocket family ,

I’m interested in hearing some ideas on buy and hold exit plans if you have any or executed some with positively or negative results please share 

Ideally you have thought of your exit strategies BEFORE you buy.  

The beauty of buy & hold real estate is that it usually has multiple options, assuming you bought it right.  Generally the options are as follows:

- Continue to hold and collect cash flow

- Sell it

- Cash-out refinance to get your equity out

Tanisha,

Do you currently own any rentals?

What Greg said! ..."assuming you bought it right" (cannot be emphasized too much)!

Do I need to say that again?...

@Tanisha Baker Buy and hold exit plans are often governed by the market dynamics and an investor's financial situation. For instance, if your personal balance sheet is robust you can ride out a temporary dip in valuations (due to a market downturn/recession). Your exit strategy might have been to sell but your balance sheet can assist in timing. 

Alternatively, if you are in a super hot market - San Francisco -, have been holding for a considerable period of time, you have sizable equity built up. You can choose to redeploy that capital into other market that might be a better fit for your needs. E.g. you're a long-term buy and hold investor nearing retirement. You will be relying on the income from your rentals. You will, in all likelihood, sell your properties in San Francisco to move into a more cash flow heavy market.

You can also choose to hold onto your existing properties and expand your portfolio buy doing a cash out re-fi (as mentioned by @Greg Scott ). 

What path you take is dependent on a few factors but "failing to plan, is planning to fail."

Sooo... how did everyone get started on a Buy and Hold multiunit? Like, funds?

@Brian Paez hey

What i did was ,i owned a single family home free and clear so i took out an heloc against that property and was able to buy more units without any cash out of my pockets for my down payments on my multi units 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here