How to use a coop and can I 1031?

7 Replies

BP friends, 

I am in possession of a coop in NYC suburbs.  Unlike most coop owners, after I moved, I have had no problem keeping it rented.  Due to size of mortgage (currently ~$50k) refi to cash out and expand my portfolio is not an option.  Coops also normally carry a mortgage rate premium (~1% above other conventional loans).

So, right now the mortgage is paying for itself, and cash flowing for me.  And the current tenant signed a lease through 2020 and her job literally relocated across the street.  One thought is sinply to hold it.  Mortgage should be paid off within nine years.

But ... 

I believe I could be doing so much more with this property and was wondering if folks had thoughts and whether people know if coops were eligible for 1031 benefit.

All thoughts and insights are most welcome.  I feel like I could sell this asset and use the equity for two or three other properties.

@David Epstein

The IRS has consistently ruled in favor of NYC coops for 1031 exchanges.

https://apiexchange.com/new-york-cooperatives/

You are able to 1031 an interest in a co-op that is an investment property for another co-op or ownership in an actual piece of real estate.

Basit Siddiqi, CPA
917-280-8544

Thanks, all!

Updated 2 months ago

Thanks @Christopher Phillips, @Dave Foster, and @Basit Saddiqi!

There are lenders that will do Helocs on co-ops... might be more difficult since it's not owner occupied. But perhaps another way to use your equity for other investment opportunities.

Jason Lee, Real Estate Agent
212-688-1000

Jason, Thanks much for that insight. I have considered the HELOC option, but not explored it fully. thanks for putting it back on my radar.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.