Advice on well water property

3 Replies

Hi BPers, I’m hoping I could hit you up for some advice on a particular property. I am considering buying a bank owned SFH for a flip. It is on well water, all utilities are off and no inspections are permitted this is an as-is sale. I have never purchased a property that is on well water so I have no idea what could be involved should there be any issues with the water/well. Can you provide some guidance? Thanks in advance
It could be fine, you could need to replace the pump or the well could be dry. If dry to redrill they charge by the foot for drilling, in NJ our well was 85 and I think we redrilled ti 160 ft. but could have stopped sooner. While your well can need to be much deeper then a neighbor, our neighborhood wells were about the same depth. Check out privatewellclass .org for info, it is an IL co-operative extension site all about wells.

It most likely won't be a problem. If you have hesitations about it due to the well then calculate that into your cost to rehab. If the well is good then you make more profit otherwise you redrill and it's business as usual. 

See if there are any public records on the well or look for the well head and see who installed it and call them. They usually put a stamp of their company name on it. I have lots of properties with wells and some are close to 50 yrs old and still kicking out strong water pressure. Its likely not an issue but you can at least find out some more info. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.