Is a fourplex with a carriage house in STL considered a 5-family?

5 Replies

Hey BP. I'm being offered a 4-family in St. Louis, that also has a carriage house on the land and they share a backyard. Was wondering if it's considered a 5-family for the home loan purposes. I know that anything over 4 units will belong to a commercial loan category, which changes amortization to less years, increases the mortgage payment and etc. I prefer to stay on the residential loan side. Please, advice.

I thought a carriage house was like a garage

Hey @Steve Sherman , my belief on this is that, if it is listed on tax record as a 4-family then it would be eligible for residential financing, even with the carriage house. City zoning defines the parcel's use, so my inclination is to stick to that.

I suspect that @Chet Hileman can throw in some added information here from a financing/mortgage viewpoint, so hopefully he sees this and adds some clarity.

Peter MacKercher, Real Estate Agent in MO (#2010004223)
(314) 210-4414

Good question! This would be considered residential and we'd only consider it a 4-unit, so typical conventional lending guidelines would apply. 

@Peter MacKercher   @Chet Hileman   -- Thanks for your input, guys! Per parcel info in tax records online, it's showing as 5 units. Would not be able to do a residential loan on this one, I guess. Thanks again!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.