Renting a unit to your property manager

5 Replies

Hi, I work with a property management company at one of my buildings (a 7 unit) at 9% of rents. One of the units was destroyed by a tenant and need about $7,000 of rehab. 

The property manager offered to do rehab in exchange of rented out the unit as her office for free or cheap for a year or two. 

Would you do this? Would this effect the property value by decreasing the income I could have had for this unit or could rehab be considered a years rent for tax and property value purposes? 

Thank you, 

Greg

I might do it but it would reduce the value if you plan to sell it soon.  If you are going to hold for 3+ years it probably isnt that big of a deal.  The main issue is whether the return to you cashflow wise is better if you just pay the rehab and rent it traditionally.  Its really just a math problem.

Makes sense. Appreciate it Jeffery

Originally posted by @Jeffrey Holst :

I might do it but it would reduce the value if you plan to sell it soon.  If you are going to hold for 3+ years it probably isnt that big of a deal.  The main issue is whether the return to you cashflow wise is better if you just pay the rehab and rent it traditionally.  Its really just a math problem.

Great post, and agreed. It's a math problem. Which has more value to you in the long run?

Did the PM company give you that $7,000 rehab amount? is it possible they are exaggerating their estimate to make it seem like a better deal to you? In addition, I would only do it with a lease for market rent, with a full rent credit for the first x months, under condition you remain owner.

Ade note: when things start getting this complicated, I tend to think they aren't worth it

Originally posted by @Andrew Boettcher :

Did the PM company give you that $7,000 rehab amount? is it possible they are exaggerating their estimate to make it seem like a better deal to you? In addition, I would only do it with a lease for market rent, with a full rent credit for the first x months, under condition you remain owner.

Ade note: when things start getting this complicated, I tend to think they aren't worth it

The 7k is my estimate. I like the idea of doing a rent credit to keep the value of property intact.  

Some things I would add to contract are

-condition of me remaining owner

-conditions of us keeping an owner/manager relationship with the rest of units

- contract at market rent with credit of among we agree upon (maybe 8k) 

I agree,  if it gets more complicated than this,  I wouldn't do it. 

Thank you

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.