How Difficult To Get 5% Conv

4 Replies

Hello BP,

Diligent researcher here, in the beginning of my acquiring knowledge phase. I have a question in regard to the 5% Conventional loan. Is this a hard loan to obtain? I have heard it is pretty rare, but it is the loan I want to utilize on my first real rental property purchase. What are good "to-knows" in reference to this loan? 

I appreciate you reading this in advance and happy investing!

Any conventional loan less than 20-25% down is for an owner occupied home only.

Do you mean 5% down payment? As long as the property is owner occupied then you can put 5% down, that what i did for my second property and turn the first one to rental.

@Brie Schmidt Thank you for the reply and link. Definitely will put it to use.

@Wayne Brooks I did not know it had to be owner occupied.. I appreciate the insight.

@Niki C. Correct, I did mean 5% down. Sounds like it worked out well. My aim is to utilize it for my first property. I presume same guidelines apply, must be occupied for 6 months to 1 year to not "raise eyebrows."

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here