Help-list says boiler intact but actually broken, lesson learned

5 Replies

Hi-

We bought a property last year in Cleveland and did heavy rehab on it.

The original listing says clearly that "boiling system intact" . Recently my contractor reported that the boiler is totally not working and need to be replaced. We got a few bids and paid $8250 to have it replaced.

I went back to inspection report and realized that boiler was not inspected. MY PM said it's because the property didn't have utility at that time so there's no way to do inspection.

I'm frustrated. How could the Ads clearly states "intact" when the boiler actually doesn't work at all?

What can I do? Help! 

How can I avoid prevent this kind of loss in future? Thanks for your input

Intact does not mean functioning .

Next time have the utilities turned on so you can do a full inspection.

Russell Brazil, Real Estate Agent in Maryland (#648402), Virginia (#0225219736), District of Columbia (#SP98375353) and Massachusetts (#9​0​5​2​3​4​6)

Mechanical systems can only be accurately tested if all utilities are on. Without that assurance you are rolling the dice. I buy properties as is frequently, but I also have crews that can fix any issues. Not sure what building/property you are heating but $8250 seems high for anything 4 units or under.

Originally posted by @Joe Canfield :

Mechanical systems can only be accurately tested if all utilities are on. Without that assurance you are rolling the dice. I buy properties as is frequently, but I also have crews that can fix any issues. Not sure what building/property you are heating but $8250 seems high for anything 4 units or under.

thanks. I'll do that next time.

realistically how long does it take to heavy rehab on a 16 unit vacant apartment building?

@Amy Hu - Heavy rehab is a relative term. Building a single family home from scratch is a 90 - 120 day process if things are done efficiently. If you have to rehab 16 units plus common areas plus any mechanicals or structural things, I don't think 6 months is out of line. 1 week per unit is 4 months by itself, and if heavy rehab is really heavy rehab, 1 week per unit may not be enough. Then add common areas and any mechanical stuff and it's easy to see how 6 months pass before completion.

Apartments are a lot of square footage to cover/finish. Little things slow you down like debris removal from 3rd floor units, packing materials upstairs and through hard to navigate hallways & corridors. All those little things add up to add time to a job. At the of the day the "2 T's" kill you - touches and travel. The goal is to touch everything as few times as possible, and have materials/workers/debris travel the shortest distance possible. Easier said than done most times.

Originally posted by @Amy Hu :

Hi-

We bought a property last year in Cleveland and did heavy rehab on it.

The original listing says clearly that "boiling system intact" . Recently my contractor reported that the boiler is totally not working and need to be replaced. We got a few bids and paid $8250 to have it replaced.

I went back to inspection report and realized that boiler was not inspected. MY PM said it's because the property didn't have utility at that time so there's no way to do inspection.

I'm frustrated. How could the Ads clearly states "intact" when the boiler actually doesn't work at all?

What can I do? Help! 

How can I avoid prevent this kind of loss in future? Thanks for your input

I don't think you have much you can do here. No proof that it wasn't actually working at the time they said it was. What you'll need to do in the future is to make sure you have your utilities on when you are getting your properties inspected prior to purchasing. 

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.