Legal question regarding occupied property?

11 Replies

Hey guys, Hopefully someone can help me with this. I bought a foreclosure and apparently there is a tenant inside the property who hasn’t paid rent in quite some time. I’m unable to reach the tenant via phone or email and I want to access the property to get a certificate of occupancy and to document the condition of the property. Can I just go there with the police and if no one answers the door bust it open? How should I go about obtaining access? The property is in Glouster County New Jersey. Thanks!

I meant the property is in Gloucester County, NJ

You must provide a 24 hr notice to inspect. Check with your state landlord tenant regulations and see if you can post it on the front door.

It is illegal for a tenant to deny access when provided the proper notice. If you believe there will be a issue take a friend. With proper notice you can break down the door if you choose. The police may or may not assist, probably not.

You will then most likely need to evict unless you want to bribe them to leave.   

@Mayer M. Thanks for raising this issue. I'm hoping to purchase auction properties in Gloucester County that are listed as occupied. Would you mind giving an update with what you had to do?

And if you end up kicking in the door, please video for me.

Sure!

Question, being from California why buy in Gloucester County, NJ?

Here's an interesting fact.

Howie Hubler, guy responsible for arguably the largest trading loss in bank history, is now an enormous owner of section 8 properties across Gloucester County.  So there's probably a decent reason to invest there.

Originally posted by @David Weintraub :

Here's an interesting fact.

Howie Hubler, guy responsible for arguably the largest trading loss in bank history, is now an enormous owner of section 8 properties across Gloucester County.  So there's probably a decent reason to invest there.

It’s a nice place to both call home and invest in ;) 

@Mayer M. I live in California now. The U.S. Marine Corps brought my family West, but was born and raised in South Jersey. I'm from Burlington County and my wife from Gloucester County. I know the area very well.

Besides all that, I feel like South Jersey is a strong area for investment. It's not gang busters, by any means, however it's a slow, consistent growth. With Philadelphia, Delaware, and the Jersey Turnpike and 295 running right through, it leaves a lot of potential for renters.

I think Gloucester County is renter heaven.  People like Lehigh Valley, and I get that, but NJ will always have traffic and business, despite the high taxes.  And depreciation won't ever be a major hindrance (neither will the opposite, but that's not why you're buying there).

Originally posted by @Joseph ODonovan :
@David Weintraub I'm still trying to figure out if Howie Hubler buying all those properties in GC is a good or bad thing.........

It's a good thing for him! The endless rent roll.  

@Mayer M. Congrats on your recent purchase! Good point from @Thomas S.  You could try going down there without a notice just to see if you can communicate with the tenant. Introduce yourself as the new landlord :) and see what happens. You could try speaking with neighbors to find out what the story is. But for sure don't go alone. If that doesn't work, then you can get the 24 hour request of entry, and if you must go to the eviction process, good luck...not as easy as it may sound.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here