Votes |
How much leverage is too much?

Mike B.
Pro Member
  • Cleveland, OH
Posted Apr 15 2018, 08:21

Hello,

New BP member, just upgraded to Pro

Beginning my real estate adventure, wanting to do buy and hold strategy, looking at potential properties so far around 30-40k. 

I plan on using a HELOC for funding. As I'm just starting the cash flow analysis, I use the HELOC and it's rate calculate the debt service. I also add in all of the potential rehab costs (up to 15-20k rehab estimates), thus utilizing little or no of my own money, nearly completely leveraged.

When I do that, the cash flow on these properties become quite low and I’m likely needing to reduce my offered purchase price to make my requisite 100/mo cash flow. 

I could be putting more of my own personal money (and I somewhat have the ability).  

Should I put up more personal money, or should I leverage much as possible?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Courtney Jones
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Apr 15 2018, 17:45

Is this a sfh or a multi family?

User Stats

Votes
Mike B.
Pro Member
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 15 2018, 17:51

I've been looking at a SFR as well a duplex (duplex being bit more expensive in purchase price).

I’ve had the same question for either 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Ploszay
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Apr 15 2018, 19:22

Here are my thoughts about high leverage:    

1.  Make sure you have adequate cash reserves if you high leverage.

2.  If the market takes a downturn, you're immediately underwater.

3.  If you finance conventionally, like your own house, you can qualify for higher leverage loans.   But for most investor loans, a minimum of 20% down is usually needed.

4.   Make sure that your property cashflows after that big loan.  There is no point in doing a deal, if close to 100% of your rent is being paid out as expenses.  (unless you're sure you are in a fast appreciating market).

User Stats

Votes
Sonny H.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Apr 16 2018, 05:48

Brian Ploszay looking for good deals in chicago , off the market . Pm if you can please.