Do I need to see all of them

7 Replies

I have a ton of motivated seller leads. I use direct mail marketing. Is it necessary to go see the properties first before contacting the home owners? It is time consuming to go see every last property beforehand prior to contacting each homeowner. I don't go see every house, but I have went to go see quite a few. I am glad I did because I almost contacted owners of some of the ugliest houses in the poorest rundown areas. I prefer fixer uppers that needs light rehab work in nice locations. It is not easy finding rehab investors willing to buy homes in need of a complete rehab requiring tens of thousands of dollars. Most investors do not want to spend over 10-20 thousand dollars in rehab cost.

what do you mean by "motivated seller leads"  do you mean you have address you got from a list that you are going to mail or have these sellers actually responded to your mailing? You should target your mailings so they aren't going to neighborhoods you aren't interested in.  Google maps street view is a nice quick option to get a general idea of the street the property is on.

Originally posted by @Josh Dillingham :

what do you mean by "motivated seller leads"  do you mean you have address you got from a list that you are going to mail or have these sellers actually responded to your mailing? You should target your mailings so they aren't going to neighborhoods you aren't interested in.  Google maps street view is a nice quick option to get a general idea of the street the property is on.

Yes I have addresses I got from a list. The locations I pick have a mixture of good and bad. Some homes look nice in fairly decent areas while other homes look terrible, but these homes are located in the same city. I target homes by city and zip codes. Google maps do not update their street view photos. I have seen street view photos of images from years ago. Some of the addresses do not show up in Google maps. Those are the ones I take a look at if I cannot see them in Google maps.

Direct Mail Campaigns are a numbers game. You can focus based on zip codes or carrier routes (a postal designation for an area that is a subset of a zip code), home value and more based on your requirements. Unless you have a lot of free time and gas money, postage can seem like a bargain.

If you looking from the outside still won't give you the full picture - Did they fix the street appeal and leave the inside a mess or the other way around?

If you aren't confident in your list, contact a list broker to see what they can do to help narrow things down.

After 1000 deals I can with confidence tell you to never see the property before contract.... Everything is done over the telephone... And dont throw those ugly ones away... thats where money is made...

And if you need, a list which you dont, I would use a list provider who has actually bought a house for profit.

Originally posted by @Chrissy Arnold:

Direct Mail Campaigns are a numbers game. You can focus based on zip codes or carrier routes (a postal designation for an area that is a subset of a zip code), home value and more based on your requirements. Unless you have a lot of free time and gas money, postage can seem like a bargain.

If you looking from the outside still won't give you the full picture - Did they fix the street appeal and leave the inside a mess or the other way around?

If you aren't confident in your list, contact a list broker to see what they can do to help narrow things down.

 Some of them had the same street appeal while others looked different in person. I can't see anything from the inside.

Originally posted by @Michael Quarles :

After 1000 deals I can with confidence tell you to never see the property before contract.... Everything is done over the telephone... And dont throw those ugly ones away... thats where money is made...

And if you need, a list which you dont, I would use a list provider who has actually bought a house for profit.

Where would I find that list provider? Are you sure about those ugly homes? The ones I saw require so much in rehab cost that you might as well spend that money just to buy a brand new house. What about ugly houses in war zone areas? I am all about location. I need something I know I can sell. I don't have the confidence I can sell a piece of junk located in the poorest of neighborhoods.