Multi-Unit Residential Friendly Areas in Pittsburgh

Multi-Unit Residential Friendly Areas in Pittsburgh

Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 545 posts · 386 votes

To those who are active investors in Pittsburgh PA, and surrounding areas, I would love to learn what areas, sub markets, zip codes you are investing in for multi-unit properties.

What areas are in high demand and command higher rental rates outside of the obvious down town etc? I have been recommended to look into the South Side and Lawrenceville for starters but would love any other recommendations from those who have had success in multi-units in Pittsburgh.

2Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Jeremy TaggartBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 850 posts · 646 votes
8y

@Bill E. I buy in southern Beaver County about a half hour out of the city. I get great cash flow there. Properties are still pretty affordable.

DHRE- The Jeremy Taggart Team590 Reviews
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 821 posts · 255 votes
    8y

    @David Baier Thanks David for the colleague request. I sent you a message regarding....Gary

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @David Baier i am investing in multiple zip codes. You take a few different approaches. Buy in only A areas where the return is less from a cash flow perspective but much less risk. Or you can go with high crime, below average income areas that have potential to be the next hot spot. Thats more risky. I buy 300k multi families to 30k single family homes. You need to ask your self what is my strategy, what price range am I looking and how adverse to risk am I?

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    David- Lawrenceville is a hot area. South Side not so much. Millvale, Aspenwall, and Troy Hill are across the river from Lawrenceville and could be seen as up and coming. Mt Lebanon, Upper Saint Clair and Sewickley are nice as well and you avoid the increased City of Pittsburgh transfer tax.   

  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 821 posts · 255 votes
    8y

    @David Baier Personally while I still see Lawrenceville as a hot market, it's now become more for buying homes to  flip rather than mutli-family rentals.  Upper St. Clair and Mt Lebanon are also not known for rentals areas but they do exist. What I'm saying here is that there are rentals in every neighborhood that do well, but you cannot generalize an area, you more have to go street by street. And yes, there are lot of factors that go into your decision. I suggest getting with someone that really knows the areas well. 

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 18 votes
    8y
    How far outside of the city of Pittsburgh do you all look for properties? Does anyone buy more then a half hour outside of the city?
  • Jeremy TaggartBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 850 posts · 646 votes
    8y

    @Bill E. I buy in southern Beaver County about a half hour out of the city. I get great cash flow there. Properties are still pretty affordable.

    DHRE- The Jeremy Taggart Team590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Investor · Pittsburgh PA · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    @Richard Ernsberger aren't the school taxes in places like Mount Lebanon and Upper St Clair super high?

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 545 posts · 386 votes
    8y
    Thanks everyone for your feedback, very helpful!
  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 545 posts · 386 votes
    8y
    Bill E. I’d be willing to go upwards to an hour outside of the city as long as the numbers worked and I felt confident enough to consistently get tenants. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh so I’m pretty familiar with most of the areas that are within about an hour of the city.
  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 18 votes
    8y
    Thanks for your insight @David Baier That helps solidify my investing strategy.
  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 846 votes
    8y

    @David Baier

    I invest around where I live for the most part (Dormont, Brookline, Beechview). I'm in the process of buying one property farther away, but only because it's a really good deal with seller financing. 

    Most neighborhoods can work but it depends on the strategy. What are you looking for tenant wise and return wise?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.