Ocala, Fl for Real Estate investment properties

7 Replies

Hello All,

I am seeing a lot of activity in Ocala and interested in buying an REI property, and thus looking for some feedback since I only see very few employers there and have read the articles about FedEx, Chevy, etc.

What are some of the pros and cons of investing in Ocala?

How is the overall market? Do you know what is driving the growth there and does it have legs to continue? How is the rental demand in Ocala? 

Thanks,
MA

Hi Manish,

I'm a Realtor that works with investors in Ocala. There have certainly been a few companies bringing jobs to Ocala, which is growing our economy here. We started as a small town but have grown to be a significant city here in North Central Florida. The overall market is strong, as we have most demographics covered throughout our city. Rental demand is fairly high here, depending on whether you want the 100k rental, or the higher $150-200k rental that will probably hold less problematic tenants, and hold them longer. I'm closing on a rental sale tomorrow on the SE side of Ocala, which should be a good rental for decades.

Contact me if you'd like to connect further. It would be my privilege to help you. Thanks!

Manish,  Check out Facebook pages  Ocala Rentals Available and also Ocala OnLine Real Estate & Rental Properties just to see what rentals are going for in Ocala.  Lots of people who cannot find anything to rent.  If you list anything available, you are swamped with people immediately.  I just sold a couple of my rentals, so still have 5 and even have ex-tenants asking when the current lease is up so they can move back in again.  I do not buy in Marion Oaks nor the Shores - personal preference.  Even before the new huge warehouses came to town, there were not enough medium and lower priced rentals, so it's a landlord's market.  I also prefer outside the city limits -  cheaper taxes.    As far as buying more expensive rentals, people who pay more aren't necessarily any better tenants and it's better for me to have two cheaper houses for rent than one that pays more - if one is vacant, I still have income.  I have also found 3/2's to be the best bet for renting and also take pets with a pet fee (they sneak them in anyway or claim it's a service animal and no refundable pet fee).  

@Walter Johnson

I'm just breaking into REI. I'm originally from Ocala and I'm considering breaking into the market since I'm familiar with the area and still have family down there. Would love to start developing some contacts down there. I'm currently based in Arlington, VA

@Walter Johnson

I'm just breaking into REI. I'm originally from Ocala and I'm considering breaking into the market since I'm familiar with the area and still have family down there. Would love to start developing some contacts down there. I'm currently based in Arlington, VA

@Marelyn Valdes - I know this thread is a bit old/stale, but can you tell me why you choose not to invest in Silver Springs Shores and/or Marian Oaks?  What parts of Ocala do you recommend for small MFH investments?

@Matthew Shedd If you're still interested in Marion Oaks, you may want to check the new construction going on in that area re: Ocala Star-Banner newspaper or CEP. There are some new companies moving in and a lot of growth and a road extension. I live near there and it's going nuts. Not sure what it offers in MFH but you can check with my PM who is Clay at Resolute PM in Ocala. He both sells and manages.