Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Curtis H.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Possible $100K Wholesale?

Curtis H.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jul 6 2018, 23:38

Hello BP Members, 

Here is the scenario. This one is close to home as it's a friend of mine who has decided he is selling his home "As Is" in the Bay Area and moving. The circumstances surrounding it aren't the greatest, as he was essentially screwed by his wife's sister after she agreed to use her credit to get them into a house that they paid down for $400K over 10 years, she didn't pay the down payment, or taxes an insurance, and now she is demanding more than half the $500K equity after saying multiple times in 10 years she wanted nothing in return. The sister won't let up on the amount she wants, and since the house is in her name, she holds all the cards. Terrible lesson in getting things in writing and never trusting family. The sister was literally a saint before this all went down. Nobody saw it coming. So unfortunately the sister can't even get approved for a $50K loan, let alone refinance to pull the money out, and my friend can't qualify to get his own loan once he pays off the greedy sister. 

So here are the numbers...

House current value - $1 million

ARV (every room needs updating) - $1.35-1.4 million

Update/Repair estimate retail finishes - $150K

Update/repair estimate rental grade finishes - $30K

They both don't have money to update the home to sell for top dollar, so they are willing to take the $1 million and move on. 

My thoughts are if they sell with a realtor they walk away with about $950K after 5% commission fee. 

My offer - 

$925-950K  (no realtor involved)

Closing in 30-60 days

I get it under contract, put about $30K into it for cosmetic fixes so its rental quality ready, and then assign the contract for $100K to an investor or family willing to put in sweat equity.

Do a double closing and pay the sister $500K equity with the proceeds from the end buyer, I take my $100K fee, and sister pays my friend his portion of the $500K equity they agreed to. 

I know I am missing something here, but it seems like this could work and I could profit $75K for engineering the whole thing. 

Thoughts?

Loading replies...