Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Arpan Gurung
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Can I resale a property just bought on a conventional loan?

Arpan Gurung
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Posted Jul 15 2018, 17:37
I was wondering, can you buy a property and flip it just a little bit and sell it for a small profit with in couple months? Does the bank allow you to do that if it’s a conventional loan or does it have to be your own private money or hard money lender? Is the conventional loans only for rental properties? Or how long do you have to hold it before you can sell it? Thank you for the answers in advance

User Stats

Votes
DeWitt Gibson
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • USA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • USA
Replied Jul 15 2018, 18:08

I would recommend reading your loan docs. Look for terms like "early payoff penalty" and the like. 

As a conventional loan officer, I am highly discouraged from originating loans if I suspect it will be paid off in a very short amount of time. In fact, if a loan is paid off or goes delinquent within the first six months after closing, they charge me a fine against what they paid me in the first place. 

I won't say it's impossible, but it's bad practice. 

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Heimsoth
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Durham, NC
Replied Jul 15 2018, 18:26

DeWitt Gibson this isn’t related to the original post but you just basically confirmed what I’d heard too regarding the fine if it’s paid off to soon.

So my question is what’s the minimum amount of time a bank needs a loan to be kept for them to make their needed profit margin? If I take out a 100k 30 year fixed loan but only have it for say 5 years does that still give the bank their needed profit etc?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Purcell
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jul 15 2018, 18:32

@Arpan Gurung

Well your broker will hate you because they will lose their commission.

User Stats

Votes
Arpan Gurung
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Jul 15 2018, 23:42

Thank you guys for the knowledge..
I won’t do it if it hurts my loan officer or my broker/realtor .
I have really good people working with me and I wouldn’t want to lose them.

So I will have to fund it with either private money or hard money lender in this case.
Appreciate the knowledge you guys are sharing and I m learning so much.

Thank you all.

User Stats

Votes
Arpan Gurung
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Jul 16 2018, 05:09

@Brad Tom you have a good point too.
Business is business.
I ll think about it. Thankyou

User Stats

Votes
DeWitt Gibson
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • USA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • USA
Replied Jul 16 2018, 07:53

@Caleb Heimsoth

Just to be clear, we are talking about conventional mortgage loans. Hard money / private money may be designed for short term financing.

The actual break-even depends on a lot of factors. Whether the loan origination fee is paid by the buyer or lender, what type of loan it is, whether it is resold or keep on the books, the amortization schedule, etc. 

All I can say is that the standard with my employer is six months. If the loan is paid off or goes delinquent before six months, they come back after me for originating a bad loan. 

Conventional loans are really designed for long term buy and hold. SO, if I were originating a conventional mortgage for you I would really try and make sure that you intend to hold the property for at least six months. I would say that at least a year is a better benchmark. These loans do go on your credit report and so the next time you apply for one the underwriter will review your credit, if they see a pattern of short term loan payoffs they may not be excited about underwriting another loan. 

Again this is a conventional mortgage I am talking about, not hard / private money. Go to town on hard / private money :)