Learning Newbie, Licenses

1 Reply

Hey everyone, I’m new to the real estate game and I’m trying to learn as much as I can. One question I have is regarding real estate licenses. Can someone simply explain what you can do with a license and what can be done without it AND if it’s worth it to go out and get it. Thank for anyone who answers.

Hi Tanner,

It all depends on what you expect to do with it. It can certainly be helpful in some situations to have access to the MLS, and also to be able to access properties by yourself. However, unless you plan to at least offer your services part time to clients, it's very expensive to maintain the license. You'll need to purchase the classes either online or in person, then you'll need to pay for the exam and renewal fees, MLS access fees, possibly desk fees depending on your broker, E&O insurance, supra key access, etc.

You will likely learn a lot from going through the courses, but overall unless you're interested in being an agent, it's likely better to just find someone in your area that can help you.