Will a HELOC affect me getting a conventional loan?

Will a HELOC affect me getting a conventional loan?

Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 4 votes

Hello all,

I am in the process of getting a duplex/house hack that needs repairs. My mother has offered me to sign on to her HELOC at a 4% rate to fund the repairs. I will not owe anything on this line of credit until I actually pull money out for the repairs. Will this disrupt my my chances of getting a conventional loan for the duplex? I already have a high credit score, but does it create a problem with my debt to income?

0Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    8y

    @Mikael Lickteig As long as you can provide statement showing 0 balance, you should be good unless your lender has some kind of overlays.

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    8y

    I use a heloc on my current residence to fund downs and rehab $ and holding costs.  as long as it is low balance/ empty when you go to finance... it isnt a big deal.  They dont look at it like you have $250k in open empty credit cards...  talk to your broker about the best way to manage things... they know best what sells and what doesnt at underwriting.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.