Sharon Tseung
  • Bay Area, CA
Votes |
Wanting to Invest Out of State by End of Year

Sharon Tseung
  • Bay Area, CA
Posted Aug 8 2018, 20:41

Hi!

So I've been listening to a lot of podcasts and following the forums. I'm from the Bay Area, California and since prices are crazy here I'd like to invest out of state. I have this goal of acquiring a property before end of the year.

This is what I've researched are the steps:
Look for potential markets, study the macro economics

• Research neighborhoods. Understand A/B/C class neighborhoods and what we want to invest in
  • Check safety/crime, schools, things to do
  • Check if state is landlord friendly or tenant friendly
  • Check regulations within each state
  • Check if properties fit 1% rule and run analysis on numbers
  • Narrow to 2-3 markets. Meet people and ask questions, find some people in the market.

Look for your team:

• Insurance
  • Lender
  • Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Only do a deal if you have someone boots on the ground

Since it seems like housing prices are pretty high right now (and the market could crash?) I was thinking maybe invest in the Midwest for my first property as from my understanding these properties are better for cash flow, worse for appreciation, which means maybe value won't go up or down too much? I just want to pull the trigger on a property and learn from the process ASAP. So pretty much I was thinking Kansas City or Indianapolis for properties, or something like that. I just don't know the areas well. What do you guys think about this?

I was thinking of looking in the 60k - 100k range for my first property. Putting a 20% down payment on one of these wouldn't be that big of a deal for me. I would love to look for my team perhaps through these forums, and I'd love to fly out and check out the neighborhoods. Any advice for neighborhoods and anyone know people who I can work with?

Thanks so much!
Sharon

Loading replies...