“No Inspections, Don’t Contact the Tenants”

6 Replies

Hey guys, as I’m looking at a lot of properties in Philadelphia I see over and over again this general message- that it’s already occupied and that the tenants are not to be bothered/no showings/no home inspections- does that automatically take this property off of your list? Some look good via the pictures and rough numbers, but right off the bat after reading this I’m very weary of these properties and don’t even consider them- is that wise, or do you have any advice as to why I should still consider the properties? Thanks for any info!

its common in multi family in SFR though its not uncommon to have a home inspection once your in contract and finacing is approved. you want to limit your tenants disruptions.. because there is also going to be an appraisal if your financing.. we try to do appraisal and inspection same day when ever possible.

As an agent, if another agent has remarks that make a showing more difficult, it doesn't remove it from my list.  It does move it to the very end.  Unless my client is dead set on that house I will show them one of the many other homes in the area that they will be just as happy with, and that are much easier to show.  Ease of showing is important. 

From personal experience I should tell you that most of the time properties looks nothing like on pictures. They sometimes use technology to make it look good on the pictures and you can't check a lot of stuff just looking at the pictures. I mean, if you have $ 600 or so laying around every time you make an offer you can skip the showing. I personally never do this. And trust me every rent agreement has a term specifying that if the house is for sale tenants need to make it available for showing. 

@Lana Lee that’s why I’ve been shying away! I just feel like, say if I were dishonest and was trying to sell a property with some big flaws, I’d try to fly it under the “sorry tenants can’t be bothered, drive by’s only” excuse and hope for the best. Of course I’m sure there’s gems in some of these but I tend to stay away, just wanted to know what everyone else thought. 

Originally posted by @Joseph Ranola :

@Lana Lee that’s why I’ve been shying away! I just feel like, say if I were dishonest and was trying to sell a property with some big flaws, I’d try to fly it under the “sorry tenants can’t be bothered, drive by’s only” excuse and hope for the best. Of course I’m sure there’s gems in some of these but I tend to stay away, just wanted to know what everyone else thought. 

Now, if it's a bank owned property they tend to do that often .