“No Inspections, Don’t Contact the Tenants”

“No Inspections, Don’t Contact the Tenants”

Real Estate Broker · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 43 votes
Hey guys, as I’m looking at a lot of properties in Philadelphia I see over and over again this general message- that it’s already occupied and that the tenants are not to be bothered/no showings/no home inspections- does that automatically take this property off of your list? Some look good via the pictures and rough numbers, but right off the bat after reading this I’m very weary of these properties and don’t even consider them- is that wise, or do you have any advice as to why I should still consider the properties? Thanks for any info!
1Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y

its common in multi family in SFR though its not uncommon to have a home inspection once your in contract and finacing is approved. you want to limit your tenants disruptions.. because there is also going to be an appraisal if your financing.. we try to do appraisal and inspection same day when ever possible.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    its common in multi family in SFR though its not uncommon to have a home inspection once your in contract and finacing is approved. you want to limit your tenants disruptions.. because there is also going to be an appraisal if your financing.. we try to do appraisal and inspection same day when ever possible.

  • Real Estate Agent · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2017 · 427 posts · 182 votes
    8y

    As an agent, if another agent has remarks that make a showing more difficult, it doesn't remove it from my list.  It does move it to the very end.  Unless my client is dead set on that house I will show them one of the many other homes in the area that they will be just as happy with, and that are much easier to show.  Ease of showing is important. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs very good advice, thank you! 

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 364 posts · 109 votes
    8y

    From personal experience I should tell you that most of the time properties looks nothing like on pictures. They sometimes use technology to make it look good on the pictures and you can't check a lot of stuff just looking at the pictures. I mean, if you have $ 600 or so laying around every time you make an offer you can skip the showing. I personally never do this. And trust me every rent agreement has a term specifying that if the house is for sale tenants need to make it available for showing. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    @Lana Lee that’s why I’ve been shying away! I just feel like, say if I were dishonest and was trying to sell a property with some big flaws, I’d try to fly it under the “sorry tenants can’t be bothered, drive by’s only” excuse and hope for the best. Of course I’m sure there’s gems in some of these but I tend to stay away, just wanted to know what everyone else thought. 

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 364 posts · 109 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Ranola:

    @Lana Lee that’s why I’ve been shying away! I just feel like, say if I were dishonest and was trying to sell a property with some big flaws, I’d try to fly it under the “sorry tenants can’t be bothered, drive by’s only” excuse and hope for the best. Of course I’m sure there’s gems in some of these but I tend to stay away, just wanted to know what everyone else thought. 

     Now, if it's a bank owned property they tend to do that often .

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.