• Real Estate Broker
  • Illinois
Votes |
Making offers on houses but the real estate agent isn't happy

John Burtle
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Illinois
Posted Sep 21 2018, 17:49

Do you guys ever make offers on properties and the real estate agent tells you you're being ridiculous with your offer and that he isn't up for telling the home owner your offer because its too low?

Here's a quick run down on what happened. I found a house and the home owners wanted $74,000 for it. It needed some work. The average houses in the area are worth 90-95K based off the agents words and my research. The house needed several pieces of siding replaced due to the them being cracked, one of the windows needed the glass replaced due to it being cracked, gutters needed fixed on the front side of the house, and the front porch roof needed some work (flat roof 8x8). The inside could of used paint in the living room. Other than that it was a pretty clean house. Perfect rental. Three bedroom, full basement, and a single car garage. The house was on a corner lot with a good size fenced in back yard. I was estimating at least 8-10K worth of work based off my experience. In my area the home would rent for $750.00 a month with no issues. B neighborhood. 4 blocks from the local school.

I told the agent my offer was $60,000 and that I'd sign the papers as soon as they were ready to go. He said there's no way he was giving that offer to the home owner and that I was being ridiculous; and that I needed reconsider getting into real estate because no one will deal with guys like me.

I'm a complete newbie. Just getting started so I don't have buying/selling experience. I have hands on experience as in rehabbing houses from working with a local contractor. I was just surprised the way the agent handled the whole situation. I don't feel like I was in the wrong. Based off your experience do you guys/girls think my offer was ridiculous? Or maybe there's just too many variables for you guys to let me know. I would of used the house as a rental property.

Have any of you ran into this type of issue?

Loading replies...