Can a husband and wife have separate primary residences?

Can a husband and wife have separate primary residences?

Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hello there! I’d love some help on a tricky question. Can my husband and I legally have two separate primary residences? I would like to buy my first home as my primary residence (and live there the required %time), but my husband is required to live in another property as his primary residence as part of an OMI he initiated a year ago. Can I purchase a home on my own as my own primary residence if my husband lives elsewhere? Thanks in advance for your help!

0Reply
122 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · WV · Member since 2018 · 454 posts · 310 votes
7y

I don't think there is any rule saying that a married couple has to live in the same primary residence. Just be careful, if you aren't really living separately and only doing it for mortgage purposes or tax purposes, then it could be fraud. Otherwise there could be some good benefits to living separately! 

Good Luck! Aaron

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · WV · Member since 2018 · 454 posts · 310 votes
    7y

    I don't think there is any rule saying that a married couple has to live in the same primary residence. Just be careful, if you aren't really living separately and only doing it for mortgage purposes or tax purposes, then it could be fraud. Otherwise there could be some good benefits to living separately! 

    Good Luck! Aaron

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Shawna Gates

    Are you and your husband living in the same state?

    If you are not living in the same state. your individual state tax returns can be very complicated. 

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Can you, yes. But can you convince a lender/bank/underwriters.... Maybe.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.