Heloc or Cash for 2nd Property on SFH/Duplex. Refinance?

Heloc or Cash for 2nd Property on SFH/Duplex. Refinance?

Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 9 votes

Hello BP,

I am just looking for some advice on my 2nd investment property. I have some potential equity in my primary residence and have some cash on hand as well. Currently house hacking my current home with two roommates and it is under FHA loan. Quick question. Should I try to Refi into a conventional for possible no PMI for more cash flow to rent in the future? Or should I leave FHA loan and buy 2nd property conventional with cash or potential HELOC? I don't believe I have 20% equity in home just yet, but could be close. Mortgage with PITI is a total of 1520 and I could rent it out for 1750 in my area with looking at similar homes on Zillow, Craigslist, Rent-o-meter, Etc. Without the PMI it would be around 1375. But is it worth it to pay for appraisal go through the Refi process? It would be nice to buy next property with FHA and house hack a duplex locally but cannot have 2 FHA loans within a certain distance from one another. I am located 40 mins south of Seattle BTW.

Long description. Hope it makes sense. Just need a little guidance.

Thanks,

Ryan

0Reply
46 views

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Melvin ListBusiness Member
    Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 381 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Rogers in an increasing rate environment I would consider a straight refinance. I am not sure when you took out the FHA loan but it could have MI for the life of the loan.

    C2 Financial
  • Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @ Melvin List, August 2017 I took out the loan. It does have the MI for the life of the loan. Can you Expand on straight finance? 

    Thanks,

    Ryan

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 275 posts · 223 votes
    7y

    I would save all the pennies you can from your roommates rent any any other surplus income you have until you can refi,  but only if you can actually reduce your payments significantly.   Since rates are about 0.75-1% higher now than they were when you bought that will be an additional challenge.   Not knowing your precise balance but guessing from your payment you have roughly a 150-200k loan,  and even if you could get the appraisal with enough equity to refi straight across (same balance) and drop the MI you'd be paying about the same.   I guess MI is not deductible while interest is so there is some benefit there.  I've refi'd properties lots of times,  several times to get better rates,  other times to lower my monthly debt obligation (went from a 15y to a 30y loan) and sometimes I have had to put money in to do it and make the refi costs pay off in reduced payments over a reasonable period (couple of years, max for me)

    Don't know what the house looks like but in addition to roommates is there room for a real (ideally permitted) attached or detached ADU? Might rent for more than roommate situation would give, and would be better privacy. Maybe thats a better way to go for now than looking for 2nd property til you've got a bit more equity.

    I've never heard of any rule about multiple mortgages geographically too close to each other.   there are various mortgage programs though and they have different rules so I suppose its possible.   My closest two properties are about 2 miles apart both financed with owner occ regular fanny/freddy 30yr fixed rated loans.   (lived in the first for 3 years before buying 2nd)

  • Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Brian Hughes

    Ya, Its looks like I am in a bind here. I have the masters and there is no add on type availability in this home.  If rates were still the same I would do it in a heart beat. 

    As far as the two loans. From what I have been told you can't have 2 FHA loans close to one another. Conventional and FHA is ok. However, FHA has limits with borrowing and staying in the same distance i guess?

    Really appreciate the feed back. What do you invest in? 

    Ryan

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 275 posts · 223 votes
    7y

    If you haven't heard that stuff about FHA loans from a reputable source (a mortgage broker) I would ask them. If you want I can PM you the one I have been using for the last 10 years or so. One of the only brokers I've found who 1) always gives her best rates up front and 2) answers emails at 11pm :)

    Given that the housing market is starting to slow more than a little bit AND everybody thinks the economy as a whole may also slow down in the next 2 years or so,  I would not overextend/overleverage.  I'd focus more on paying down existing debts and saving and making any improvements you can that make sense.  In another year,  it might be a better time to buy.   In another 3-5 years if rents and appreciation stay flat-ish all the people who bought rentals too high in the last 12 months are going to be looking at short sales.

    First house was a fixer bought in July 2001. Spent 5 years living in and working on that and then I got into rentals 2006 with a triplex. I've got a duplex, that triplex, and 4-plex in south seattle and burien areas now. I'm actually in the middle of buying an SFR for my own residence now to officially end the house hacking (live in the duplex lower unit now), and after that I am probably going to be looking at trading up the duplex to a larger investment property ideally someplace south king or pierce if I can find one where the numbers aren't too horrible.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Brian Hughes,

    I have had two different lenders express the FHA mileage. Yes, if you can PM me that would be great. She sounds like someone that is reputable.

    True, I could work on this house as it needs some appliances all across the house and focus on getting it to be rent ready in the next year or so. It wouldn't be a bad idea to pump the brakes and save some capital. 

    Impressive portfolio. Did you use FHA and leverage with HELOC's to be able to move on to the next one? I wouldn't mind house hacking a duplex if one comes on the MLS. Single. No kids, and time to work on investments.

    Let me know about pierce county. I live down here and would be interested to see your ideas. 

    Ryan

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    7y

    refinance the FHA to a conventional loan ...max out the cash back on this …...after this is done - get a HELOC on it for as much as possible ….doing this will free up your ability to use FHA on next property and also provide some capital you can use

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 275 posts · 223 votes
    7y

    I PM'd the broker info. If mortgage brokers told you about the FHA rule I'm sure its accurate.

    My strategy has been pretty simple and conservative -


    My first house was a fixer in north seattle.   I dumped a lot of sweat equity into that and benefitted from some appreciation (the runup to the first housing bubble)   I basically did a straight-across trade from the house to the triplex in 2006. (house sold for 420k,  triplex bought for 410k).  Financing for triplex was regular 30yr fixed owner occ residential loan.   Since I moved all the equity over rent from 2 units (which were below market even then) paid the lions share of the loan.   I house hacked the triplex living in 1 unit for the next 3 years while fixing it up as units turned over.    In 2009 after the bubble popped but before the bottom I bought the duplex  (283k on 400K original asking price) and moved there and repeated strategy.   2014 I bought the 4-plex in burien (also 410k;  1-4 unit non owner occ residential mortgage)  its the first investment I bought which I didn't owner occupy.  I've refinanced everything at least once,   primary objective being reducing the monthly payments, secondary object reducing debt.     

    I haven't taken any HELOCs or second loans, hard money, etc.   I do have a software engineers salary,  am frugal by nature,  and am single so that helps build up funds.  I've also benefited of course from the big run up in equity on stuff I've owned since around/before the RE bubble in 2008.   But since I have been only buying,  and not cashing out its mainly been my savings and rent income getting rolled into new purchases.

    Basically with this strategy I have been doubling my unit count every 5 years or so.   triplex gave me 2 units (3rd owner occ) - duplex gave me 4,  4-plex gave 8.   I'm targeting a 10-20 unit complex for purchase with proceeds from planned duplex sale,  which will keep that pattern going.   

    I'm not a pierce county expert by any means,  but I'm probably going to be looking for small/medium complexes (at least 8 units,  ideally 10-20) basically as close in to downtown and as urban as possible.   I like fairly modern (mid century or later) built-as multifamily properties that are functioning but value add.   there was a 16 unit a block from wright park that was listed for several months.   It finally went pending recently but is the exact type of thing I'm interested in.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Dave Skow

    Thanks for the advice. Does the loan amount stay the same after a REFI from FHA-Conv? It's pretty much the upfront cost of the Refi and possible higher interest rates that I will run into but initially PMI will fall off eventually years later once 78 percent of the loan is payed off?

    Ryan

  • Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Brian Hughes,

    Great time to buy. First duplex I lived in after college (Rent) owner bought around the same time. 

    Impressive portfolio and congrats. Do you do your own property management? Or have one? Did you work with an agent on all of these properties?

    Ryan

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 275 posts · 223 votes
    7y

    Thanks

    You can refi the same amount (if you have enough overall equity) or put cash in or take it out (again,  if you have enough equity).   In your case since you apparently didn't put a lot down,  you'd have to put cash in to get to 20% equity it sounds like.

    Another thought -

    Instead of trying to refi given rates are enough higher that even without PMI your payment would be about the same if you don't put cash in, what about just paying down the loan faster? Its a long term strategy for sure, but consider that a small part of your payment right now is principal - for example on that ~1500ish payment I bet your principal is probably only about $200-300. If you pay $1800/mo you are DOUBLING your rate of payoff, meaning you would ultimately take YEARS off your loan. It would also mean after a couple more years you would be in a better position to look at refinancing. Even if you sell long before you pay off the loan, that equity basically carries forward forever.


    I've been aggressively paying down loans (and saving for new opportunities) since starting with the rentals,  and the duplex is free and clear now;  the triplex debt is under $100k,   and the 4-plex debt is about $220k.  All of these started as 20-25% down 30 year loans.

    It is true that if I were paying minimums and had not paid down debt as part of some of the refinances  I could potentially own another property or two by this point,  but the cash flow might not be much different.

    I owner managed successfully up until march 2017 when I hired a property manager.    Reasons for the change were due to my plans to keep scaling,  mitigate Seattle regulations,  desire to be able to go on vacations and trips again without leaning on friends/family to keep eyes on things,   and because I've now got enough cash flow that I'm willing to accept the expense.

    All my properties so far were MLS listed and I worked with agents. There is overhead there of course but I haven't done badly. The duplex sale may be the first one where I don't do a listed/MLS transaction. We will see. My impression with the off market stuff is anything really good doesn't get syndicated or otherwise made available, the buyer who was in the right place at right time to get the opportunity keeps it or calls up whoever their most reliable buyers are already. What you see published among investor forums are the scraps. Obviously, there are going to be other opinions there. I also don't do enough volume to be good at networking and all the things one needs to be good at for finding and executing on transactions - I'm a lot better at improving and operating. So I'm basically a buy-fixup-long-term-hold strategy.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Interesting points,

    I actually was just thinking the same about paying off the loan quicker. 300 is going straight to principle and I think that is my best way to go at this point. Save a specific amount of capital for next investment while also paying off years into this mortgage to earn equity and potentially REFI in a year or so. I am hoping to hopefully get into a conventional and house hack a duplex-triplex with FHA owner Occ but sounds like I may have to pump the brakes.

    Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome.

    Ryan

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    7y

    @ ryan - you have option ….you can make the new conv. loan the same as the payoff bal for the FHA loan or you can make it slightly higher if you want to roll in any loan fees / costs / prepaids so you don't have to bring cash to closing

  • Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Thanks @Dave

    @Dave Skow

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.