30 yr fix loans for investment properties?

53 Replies

How do people get 30 yrs fix loans on investment properties? the banks I have talked to only do ARM for investment loans.

It’s easy, for 1-4 unit properties  if you’re buying in your personal name as opposed to an entity. If an entity, pretty much forget it unless you can find a small local credit union maybe.

So do you buy under your personal name? how do you manage the liability side if anything was to happen? 

Thank you Kyle, is this for personal name mortgages or LLC? is it possible to get a loan under and LLC for 30 year fix?

@Claudia Starr I have done it for personal , not sure about llc . I know most banks have different criteria . Just need to try and try
Most banks will do 30yr fixed up to 4 properties
@Claudia Starr . I am not sure if anyone has tried this, but you may be able to purchase as a named individual and then transfer the asset to your LLC. I have a property that I bought previously to my LLC and with a bit of paperwork I am transfering it to my new LLC.

Thank you ! The banks around here won’t lend for investment properties on a 30yrs  fix .. even on a personal name . I will start looking deeper . Thank you very much for your response 

@Claudia Starr You might need to look at larger national banks. The local banks around me want to do ARMs but the nationwide banks do it
@Thomas Bender There is a potential that it could trigger a “due on sale clause” if the ownership is transferred...even if just from you as the individual to an LLC.

Thank you very much ! I appreciate the time you guys took to answer my question !

Originally posted by @Kyle Schlosser :
@Thomas Bender There is a potential that it could trigger a “due on sale clause” if the ownership is transferred...even if just from you as the individual to an LLC.

Wells Fargo has done a few 30 yr fixed for me..  

@Claudia Starr I am in the process of closing my second investment property and did a 30 year fixed loan. I used quicken loans as it is a single family house. It is also under my personal name . Might have to keep searching as was said before. Good luck !

The due on sale clause is a real thing, but from everyone I've talked to, I have yet to find anyone who has actually heard of banks calling the loan. That being said - it is always possible.

Try talking to your insurance agent and closing attorney prior to closing and ask if you can set up a deed transfer at closing to transfer over to your LLC.

@Claudia Starr I did a 30 year fixed rate under my own name, and just upped the liability.

All this informations is very valuable . I really appreciate it guys !

@Claudia Starr Call Wells or Chase or another big bank. I got 10 with Wells Fargo. They are all on personal but you can drop them into LLC after you close.

Are you talking about buying SFH up to 4 units (Conventional Mortgage) or multifamily of 5+? If 5+ then you are looking at commercial loans and they generally dont do 30 Amortization. However, if you are looking for a commercial loan of over 1 million then FreddiMac has a product that has a 30 yr Amortization.

But conventional mortgages for sure should do a 30 yr amortization.

@Claudia Starr I sell real estate and people buy investment properties all the time with 30 year fixed loans. The downside is because they are an investment and therefore higher risk, they usually require 20% down and interest rates are typically about 1% higher than home owner occupant loans. My clients have done most through mortgage companies too as I've found the bigger banks tend to mess up my deals. Good luck!

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here