• Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Credit at Closing for Rehab Costs

Zachary Jensen
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Dec 1 2018, 16:20

Is it possible to get a credit back at closing to help pay for rehab costs?  For example, I agree to buy a house for 100k but we close for 120k with the expectation that the seller will give me 20k at closing.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron H.
  • Steamboat Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Steamboat Springs, CO
Replied Dec 1 2018, 18:00

Sure - anything you can negotiate is possible...

User Stats

Votes
Tom Shallcross
Pro Member
  • Chicago
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Chicago
Replied Dec 1 2018, 18:12

@Zachary Jensen - yes it is possible to do this, but if you are financing the property than you need to check with your lender as they may have a restriction on the credit amount. 

I had a situation in a recent close where we negotiated a 10k credit but the lender would only allow the maximum amount of the credit to be equal or less to my closing costs.  We were able to adjust the purchase price to get squared away (as the closing costs were less than 10k).  In your situation, it sounds like you're looking for actual cash at the close, so adjusting the purchase price wouldn't work.  

I'd check with your lender if you're financing.  If you're not financing, then I don't foresee an issue, but I would recommend a quick call with your attorney just to be safe. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes