• Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Professional Photography when Selling

Jeff Arndt
  • Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Posted Jul 26 2011, 09:55

I just wanted to see if any of you have invested in professional photography in effort to sell your home or flipped properties. I can't help but see the advantage due to the fact that the listings on the internet do a terrible job of showing what potential your property has. Please share your experiences!

User Stats

Votes
Mike G.
  • Rehabber / Flipper
  • Simi Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Rehabber / Flipper
  • Simi Valley, CA
Replied Jul 26 2011, 10:22

I'm not a professional photographer, but I recently purchased a wide-angle lens for my camera, and it makes a huge difference when shooting some rooms. Also, some Photoshop touch-up does wonders. If you don't have a DSLR camera or Photoshop, or if you just aren't good with a camera, I would recommend having someone else take the photos for you. Maybe you have a friend or acquaintance who wouldn't mind taking/editing the pics?

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Yeats
  • Lender
  • Fort Pierce, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Fort Pierce, FL
Replied Jul 26 2011, 10:28

I agree with the wide angle lens ... it makes a HUGE difference.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Jul 26 2011, 10:58

you dont have to be a professional photographer to take amazing pictures. take it off of "auto" mode and the difference will be clear.

plenty of utube videos to teach you how to explore/discover your camera. you can also rent cameras/lenses if you dont want to spend the money. it's a win/win.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Arndt
  • Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jul 26 2011, 11:35

Thanks guys

I took a photography general elective in college thinking that it would be an easy A (which it was). It's nice to know that I can actually take what I learned into the "real world".

Just like anything in real estate, I feel that a little extra time and care can really save you $ in the end. I definitely think that a wide angle lens will be a purchase in my near future.

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Jul 26 2011, 13:10

and dont go crazy and get nikon's/canon's 2-5k lenses. plenty of good lenses under $700.

User Stats

Votes
Aly W.
  • Investor
  • Middletown, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Middletown, NJ
Replied Jul 26 2011, 14:03

I'm a professional photographer and it's not just a wide angle lens that makes a big difference. It's the lighting. You need an off camera flash to really show beautiful, 3 dimensional lighting. I have rental properties in FL (I'm in NJ) and have paid a pro photographer to take the images. You can see the difference with the average point 'n shoot/on-camera flash, and the off camera flash (here):

http://www.postlets.com/rts/5640284 (property was rented very quickly)