Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomas
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • NC
Votes |
value land in an up and coming area

Ryan Thomas
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • NC
Posted Feb 6 2019, 08:15

Hi all,

Does anyone have a POV of how land value changes once someone has taken "the plunge" and started development in an underdeveloped area?

I am looking to potentially purchase 4 plots of land that are listed at $90K. The current owner bought these 4 and another 4 for $50K back in 2016 and has built Class A duplex on 4 of the plots and is now selling the other 4. The rest of the area is undeveloped and doesn't have much going on.

I am struggling to value these because

-There are no other comps around to compare with

- I have researched the current duplexes and they perform quite well as STRs and it would work for me all the way up to the $90K ask. However that owner bought these plots for $25K only 3 years ago and the market in this area has only gone up 25%. I worry I would overpay?

-How do I take into account that he has already proved this area works in that he was the first to build here?

-How do I approach the negotiation without pissing him off that I am questioning his ask price, should I ask him how he valued these at $90K when he bought for $25k?

I am looking at purchasing 4 plots of property to build multifamily properties on. The owner is asking for $90K. The land was originally sold to the current owner as 8 plots back in 2016 for $50K. 

At the time there was only trailers around this piece of land and the current owner has built class A multifamily properties on 4 of the plots and is looking to sell the other 4. I have done researcher and the current multi family properties perform very well even if I were to pay the asking price of $90K.

Given the owner paid $50K for 8 plots, how should i value the 4 plots?