Can basement be converted as ADU (Los Angeles)?

5 Replies

Hi! I saw a rare off market fixer today that has a lot of potential as a "buy and hold" in Eagle Rock, Los Angeles. It is a 3/2 SFR on a hillside with amazing views... and also currently has an unpermitted 2/1 basement conversion with a kitchenette. That basement would be awesome if permitted to bump the ARV and add value..... it has a separate entrance and likely cashflow if rented as a separate unit.

Does anyone here know if I can get that basement permitted as an ADU?

Does someone know if i can have a separate meter for ADUs? Trying to see how i can split the utilities if rent out both units. 

Depends on lot side. Hill side might be some issue if its a substandard sized street. 

You can also do what is called a Junior ADU with less red tape and requirements. And yes basements can be converted.

hausable.com is a good start to look at adu

What are they asking for the property? Sq ft and lot size and condition.

Originally posted by @Rob Massopust :

Asking price has not yet been determined. Its a 3/2 1740sqft on a 4510sqft lot. Zestimate is $911k. But i know this area and the ARV for this house without ADU is atleast is roughly 1.1M.

Originally posted by @Rob Massopust :

I forgot to mention the owner is a distant relative (distantly related to my wife’s side of family).  He’s in debt and having trouble keeping house payment so he thinking of cashing out now while he can.... No money to fix house.  

My wife is a Realtor and offered to list for him.... but after seeing it,  im thinking of buying it from him instead if the numbers work as a rental. 

The condition isnt too bad in main house. Mostly just needs lipstick rehab. Good bones $40-50k tops. 

Basement was converted a decades ago before legal ADUs were a thing...  it has 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and kitchenette (not permitted im sure)... but it has 8ft ceiling down there and separate entrance.  Just being used as storage right now for some reason.  

Thinking of offering $750k-800 as is