Multiple Offers Declined: 5% in-comparison 20% Down

17 Replies

Hello BP Family, my partner and I have been aggressively making an attempt to purchase an investment property in NJ, Jersey City area.

Our focus is/was a 2-3 multi family home that we plan to house hack for 1 year.

We placed multiple offers either at ask price or above ask price and even removed some contingency’s to make our offer more attractive.

Problem: We often have to compete with multiple offers that have 20 percent down, and the seller believes that we cannot close which is far from the truth.

Are there any solutions or tips for this issue?

Our position: 5% down property’s around 600k+ in aggressive market.

Go through a pre underwriting process so you can close in say 10 days or so. Waive inspection. Use an aggressive escalation clause. Use an agent with good relationships in the market place.

@Markus Jackson What part of the city are you looking in? I’m an investor in the area. And you will definitely want a pre approval as a seller I won’t consider offers without one especially in a sellers market like JC.

In addition to providing a Preapproval, have your lender do/provide the Desk Underwriting (DU), provide that report and show your POF for the down payment/closing costs, hopefully showing reserves well above that needed.

My advice is, don't buy into a market with those characteristics.

@Markus Jackson have you been bidding on new listings or houses that have been on for a while. I’m

Thinking if you have a lot of multiple offer situations,, going after something that’s been sitting a while or needs rehab is a better choice. My wife and I were outbid 20x before getting a home in the Greenville section. We ended up buying a gut job that wasn’t everybody’s cup of tea.

@Markus Jackson in addition, we removed inspection Contingency. We had our lender email the seller and stated DTI

@Michael Baker How did the Gut renovation turn out? We are considering buying a SFR and converting into a duplex with a renovation loan. Or possibly just buying a house that needs some work in a desired area.

I’m and actively doing research on renovation Loans and understanding more about our possibilities and limitations.

I am expanding my education on financing a renovation to rent out && hopefully cash flow.

@Markus Jackson Good choices. there are still some good deals around especially for an owner occupant like you. I picked up a huge 2 fam in West Bergen Right by the light rail a couple months ago thats going to make a lot of sense for a house hacker. Appraisals should be be an issue for you relaitve ti purchase price as all of my appraisals in the area have been surprisingly high. maybe consider a house that needs work a lot of times only investors will be interested and they typically come in at lower offers.I also know some great brokers in the area if you are interested.

@Allan Szlafrok that’s great Allan I am in the process of building a great team there while acquiring a property that needs some work. Ideally I would like to use a 203k or form of renovation Loan to fund this rehab.

It's all about ability to close. For every offer accepted that ends up not working out that costs the seller another mortgage payment. 20% or more down is a pretty good indicator the buyer is serious and has the ability to close. You can do all the other stuff in regards to pre approval, under writing, POF, etc. but the guy with 20% down probably has that, too. I would suggest getting a bigger down payment, offering above asking right off the bat, escalation clauses or getting creative. Look at homes that have been listed for a while, off market deals, different market, wait for the busy summer season to end, etc...

@Markus Jackson Keep making offers. 20% down will always be more attractive than 5% to any seller and their agent. Has your loan office spoken to the listing agents to reiterate the strength of your file? Also you can offer free occupancy or include an appraisal guarantee to sweeten your offer.

@Tanner Marsey Good stuff Tanner thank you, working on saving for a larger downpayment the property’s were looking at are 600k+ so that 20% down was rather a lot for us. But we have to keep pushing!

@Marcus Maloney I also think your offer will be more competitive for a house that needs renovation. 

For FHA loans, the appraisal process is more strict than traditional loans. Even though you could waive the inspection, the appraiser may still want a few things on the inspection report to be fixed before closing. At that point, sellers would have to do the repairs if they want the deal to go through.

But if you go with 203k loan, the appraiser would factor in the work you wanted to get done and provide you an after repairing value. Any required repairing could be taken care of by you (rather than the seller) after closing.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here