What’s my capital gain on this if I sell?

What’s my capital gain on this if I sell?

John MorganPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

I bought a C class property exactly one year ago for 50k. I spent 50k rehabbing it. So I'm all in for 100k. It's worth 140k now. If I sell it for 140k, will I be paying long term 15% capital gains on just 40k? Can I write off every dime I've spent on it in the last year? Including realtor commission and closing cost fees? I assume I will have recapture from depreciation and what I wrote off on last years taxes taken out too. Just trying to decide if I want to rent to C class people anymore. I've had two different tenants in there in the last year; and evicting the new ones today due to non payment of rent. Rent is $1,400/month which is good cash flow, but I think I would rather reinvest this money into a less cash flow B class SFR with more stable tenants.

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y

Your cap gains is on your net profit....$40k(assuming you haven’t already written off part of the $50k rehab as an expense) less selling expenses, plus depreciation recapture as you mentioned.  A cpa can give you more precise number/rate after looking at your other income.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John MorganPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Bueler....

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Do not give tax advice talk to your CPA bring your last 2 year tax filings.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Your cap gains is on your net profit....$40k(assuming you haven’t already written off part of the $50k rehab as an expense) less selling expenses, plus depreciation recapture as you mentioned.  A cpa can give you more precise number/rate after looking at your other income.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    And the 15% depends on your income. If you make over that threshold it will be a higher percentage.

  • Investor · Temple, TX · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 83 votes
    7y

    @John Morgan Call a CPA. 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @John Morgan

    Long-term gains tax rates can be subject to either 0%, 15% or 20%.
    Furthermore, there may be a potential 3.8% net investment income tax.

    Your accountant should have all the details and be better suited to tell you what rate you will pay.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.