Rude or is it OK to Ask??

11 Replies

@Chandra Mcculloch I wouldn’t call it rude, but the listing agent is going to be biased towards selling at the highest price. Would you really trust them to pull unbiased comps?

@Chandra Mcculloch the above comment is absolutely correct.  

If you ask a restaurant owner where the best restaurant in town is, he’s not going to point you down the street.  He’s going to push you towards his.  

Nothing is wrong with asking your realtor for comps.  I bet She doesn’t mind at all.  Just use her to represent you on this transaction. 

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

@Chandra Mcculloch

Agree, but also a little rude to have listing agent doing work for both parties when in the end only going to represent one. If you have a realtor, that's what they are there for. If you feel like you are harassing them, pick up lunch or show up with a bottle of something the next time you see them.

Originally posted by @Chandra Mcculloch:

We have found a few properties on the MLS that we are interested in. Is it rude to ask the listing realtor to run comps for me? I have a realtor but I really hate bugging her all the time.

Why are you running comps on a house you haven't been inside yet?

@Chandra Mcculloch

Like other's have mentioned, it's not necessarily rude but that's what your Realtor is there for. The listing agent may send you comps, but typically they are going to refer you to your agent for that. 

Your agent also knows what you are looking for and is going to work in your best interest. The listing agent's job is to get the house sold, while they may not intentionally skew the comps they are also not going to tell you if their listing is overpriced. As long as you are actually trying to buy a house, your Realtor won't mind running some comps. 

As a buyer's agent, I run comps for my buyers all the time, and I also provide the tax records for the property, showing information like previous purchase price, any mortgage loan info available, any foreclosure notices, flood zone listed, etc., so my buyer is as informed as possible. It's not "bugging her"... it's actually her job.  As the listing agent, I will provide a report of all neighborhood recent sales to an unrepresented party if asked, or any other "ministerial acts" allowed, after they sign the required disclosure stating that I represent the seller.  If they have a buyer's agent, however, I remind them that their agent should be happy to provide that information and that I should not interfere in that relationship.  If your agent is acting like you are "bugging" them by requesting information, it may be time to find a better buyer's agent.   

@Chandra Mcculloch.

You: “Say there listing realtor, you worked with the seller to set the listing price, please send me comps that will help me justify offering a lower price and make it less work for my realtor.”

Listing Realtor: Click

You have a realtor but you hate bugging her so you want to bug the listing agent?  Ask your realtor to run comps for you that's their job representing you.  The listing agent represents the seller not you. But back to your question is it rude? No its not rude but don't expect the LA to do it for you.  

Originally posted by @Chandra Mcculloch:

We have found a few properties on the MLS that we are interested in. Is it rude to ask the listing realtor to run comps for me? I have a realtor but I really hate bugging her all the time.

If you have a realtor, ask her.  That's why you have one.  I wouldn't bother pulling comps until I knew I wanted to make an offer on it.  Your realtor will know the market well enough to have a general idea of how it is priced.