Hard money horror stories. Let’s hear them

Hard money horror stories. Let’s hear them

Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes

I’ve posted some of this stuff before but I figured it might help if I shared a few of my blunders here that could have been avoided. Hopefully some sharp investors read this and offer me and others advice on how to navigate better.

I’ll start out.....

My first hard money loan I took out September of 2017.

12% with 3% points to the broker at the table. 1 year with extensions available for 3 months with 1% fee.

The loan was for 932k 791 purchase and 132k 50k construction 72k interest and tax reserve.

The purchase price was 1.375m

The property was 8 buildings of 40 or so units scattered in a D area with F tenants.

My biggest mistake? I made many. But I think it was not having enough reserves.

I put down all my money on this deal. About 600k.

I had bought three houses within a few months and I would buy two more a year later.

Second mistake was buying too much property.

But that was really the crux of my plan so I can’t fault myself there, buying all those houses gave me control. The overall plan was to force appreciation in the whole area.

On to the refi plan which was to one by one fix and refi the properties in a portfolio loan.

With only 50k in Reno funds I already knew i wasn’t going to be able to do much. However I had an interest and tax reserve so I was planning to use the rents from the occupied properties to find Renovations.

I did manage to get things ship shape enough to get it ready for a bank. I had spent months talking with banks on my plan and had the contacts lined up before closing. I was taking in 18-20k a month in rents in those days.

Unfortunately for reasons I will most likely never know a few weeks before the refi was to close.......5.75% on 1m Loan 100k cash for more Reno....the bank walked away with no explanation.

They had had my financials for 6 months and not much had changed. At least for the worse. If anything things were better. Revenues up, occupancy down and much better tenants. Even the appraisals were up.

But no matter. I moved on.

1Reply
18 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    7y

    So that was about 6-7 months in. Up till then Things weren’t too bad money was coming in and I was cash flow positive by a bit. I had some empty units. They couldn’t be turned over with lipstick. I was spending about 25-30k per unit. I had redone 6 units at that point. Some commercial mostly residential.

    However one thing that would make trouble for me was that I had some pretty high standards I was keeping the tenants to in an effort to clean the buildings.

    I was evicting tenants that broke rules. The vacant unit count climbed.

    That’s when the reserve ran out.

    I had 13 vacant units at that point.

    My total hard money payment was 12k and I was talking in a bit more than 20k but my other expenses were high. I needed about 18-22k a month to break even. With everything rented I would take in about 35k....but that was a long way off.

    two of my new tenants stopped paying rent. More vacant units plus evictions.

    Some bills that had been on auto pay maxed out a card. I got hit with a 14k water bill, and 8.5k electric bill on remote meters that weren’t working.

    I took out a personal loan. 32k. It was gone in a flash to renovations.

    A year in I completed a refi on 470k of the original loan.....between high balances and lots of inquires the best rate I could get was 8.75

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    7y

    In January...pipes froze in a 6” fire sprinkler system in a mixed use property.....10k the owner agrees to do the work and give me 90 days.

    I started working on the other Refis. Looking back my whole plan was based on 5% mortgage rates. I couldn’t imagine paying 8.75 for 30 years. I have done commercial loans for 10 years at 3.15% but that wasn’t happening now.

    And every week soothing else went wrong. Fines, theft, fires, drug overdoses, collapse ceilings it never stopped.

    I kept making the payments. One way or the other. 4 maxed credit cards, 3 personal loans 9 mortgages, 11 utility bills.

    Then my partner, a minor partner in the business left. Took our last payment from the hard money and walked off for close to a month. When he decided to return I had had enough. In the 8 months we were partners he had taken 17 weeks of vacation. Not even 50% of the time was he there. So I told him he was out. I would sell something and give back his money.

    He placed 6 liens on properties.

    Suddenly I had a lot of bills. A big stack I couldn’t pay. I could pay the taxes water sewer, mortgages, credit cards but almost nothing else. And I still had 10 vacant units left now.

    I had a building with the electric meter in the basement. The bill was getting way overdue. To kill power for non payment they would need to access basemt. I locked that basement door and let the tenants know don’t let them in or we have no power.

    Meanwhile I tried to negotiate with the utility. I picked them bc the credit card and mortgages reported. I was still trying refinancing so no way did I want a late payment. They finally agreed to give me 60 days over the summer with small payments. Even that was difficult to manage.

    I owned a local carting company 6k and the folks that knew them....my management co said that was a bad idea.

    I was upfront with everyone. I let them know I was in over my head but I would eventually get things right. All debts paid.

    I started calling once a month to my list of accidental creditors. I would let them know how things were and when I thought I would pay. But it kept getting pushed back.

    I had refinanced one more Loan. 150k off the original. I also sold a property. Paid 75 put in 15 sold for 134. Gone in a flash again.

    I finished 4 more units. 6 to go. I collected 25k that month.

    I was working on a refi. The property had a lien. Two actually. But it was worth 800k and loan was 320. Liens 100 so about 55%. The last big loan at 12. I had a few more loans say 500k or so but they were mostly 10%.

    The mortgage co said they would escrow for liens. They told me no problem. We worked it out.

    The day before the closing the title guy called me asking if I had the lien release. No. It’s from the loan proceeds. He said we can’t do that.

    That was in August. In September it would be two years. Two years at 12%

    the hard money guys had said they might begin to foreclose. They were nice about it but they wanted their 320k. They told me to figure it out.

    I put just about every property I owned on the market.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    7y

    At the time I had 8 properties left. But most of those were multis. 2 were 11 unit properties. I listed almost all with one agent. @Sarah Hooff great agent in newburgh.

    She got offers within weeks on the two big properties. Cash offers. That’s what I needed.

    We quickly negotiated the first deal. Within a week we were almost in contract. Then the buyer did some small things that didn’t give me much comfort...like holding the contract and changing terms. We had another cash offer so we gave them 24 hrs and boom onto the next buyer and in contract. Closed 30 days later.

    Breathing room.

    After mortgage and mechanic lien(which was inflated)

    I cleared 230k on that sale but i had 7 other loans with liens on most of them.

    The hard money guy was nice but he said I had to get moving. 2 years had just arrived. No more extensions.

    So we kept selling.

  • Real Estate Broker · Newburgh, NY · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 54 votes
    7y

    I got you John! Whatever works. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    6y

    @Sarah Hooff thanks for stopping down. Nice work on those sales. Don’t let the. At out of the bag on the ending.

    So the next one up was actually the first to go into contract. It was 11 units(My fav #) I had it listed as two separate properties. It was actually 4 buildings in 2 tax lots. 222/224/226/228 broadway newburgh. Bought 9/2017 for 664 or so. It had two liens 40k and 60k. It also had 2 lis pedems!!!!what I found that out a week before closing. It was a improper...there were no judgments but I did have a lawsuit and to be cute the lawyer filed them at the address... that took a bit to get removed.

    In the meantime time was ticking away. Hard money guys checking in....and then boom sale went through.

    Breathing room. I had sold the property for 825 my purchase was 664....but the mortgage was 335. So now I had some cash.

    Still have few hundred grand at 10/12% and 200k in liens. Deadlines coming up.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    2y

    Its been a while since I was here. I had a good run in RE. Made some big mistakes. After alll was said and done in RE I did pretty well and effed pretty big. Easy come easy go. 

    In 2016/17 I had read 4 hour work week. Ecom interested me. So while I kicked my (self inflicted) wounds I studied ecom, and later DTC business. 

    My wife the serial entrepreneur needed some digital help. In 2020 I felt experienced enough to give it a shot. While I was losing millions in 2020 on paper I helped start a DTC brand. By may of 2020 we were doing 320k a month. I was so busy. But as happens some things  don’t last. We shut that down just short of 1m in sales. 

    I started a few more projects in 2020/2021 and then my wife gave me a small business to market. It was doing about 50k a month when I got it. This year we are solidly in mid 8 figure revs. Goal is 9 in 2024 but we will see. 

    Telling you the story to be honest as a bit of a brag but also a little bit of closure I ran away from real estate totally ashamed of what it happened to me. Which is understandable I did take a total beating and it was 100% my fault. Ego drinking problem moments of laziness I did work pretty hard but I could tell you that there was a few minutes here and there were I probably could’ve done something else instead I was eating lunch or ********ting with my friends or working on something silly when I should’ve been working something something important I never really didn’t show up to work I was there every day .

    I also wanted to share it just in case somebody else is struggling it’s OK to struggle everybody makes mistakes and even when you lose everything I mean I was sitting there in March 2020 with a huge lawsuit I took about 150 grand put it into options and lost that too. yeah that was pretty stupid. I felt like a total failure but I went back to the drawing boards I spent a lot of time on YouTube I listen to a lot of experts and recently I started a new business rehabbing beat up DTC companies kind of what I did with real estate. i’m approaching about 20 to 25 companies fixed so to speak hard to say cause sometimes when you get their revs to a certain point they shut you out and go back to running it themselves had some amazing success there’s a brand called blanks by 13 for instance. Seven figure apparel brand from LA . They went from losing money to six figures net profits a single month the owner attributes a lot of that to me 

    I don’t get over here very much anymore anymore I’m not real estate except owning my own house oh yeah maybe I should tell that story one day I sold three houses since any of the post that were down here one of them cleared about 500 grand. So I wasn’t a total failure at RE. But Covid definitely helped there lol. 
    so here’s my Instagram and Twitter if anyone wants to follow me I post on Twitter every day no doubt. 


    IG


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.