Clayton Morris is suing James Wise

89 Replies

It seems that Clayton Morris is willing to do anything he can to suppress the voices of those investors who claim to have lost money investing with his company Morris Invest. 

After loosing his copyright claim with YouTube about my Landlords From Hell video trailer Clayton Morris is now suing me in attempt to keep me from releasing the full length film.

Here is the case information for all of you as it's all public record.

Morris v. Wise, No. 1:19-cv-02467 (N.D. Ohio)

Here is a fluff piece put our by his legal and PR team.

Daily Dicta: Former ‘Fox & Friends’ Anchor Turned Real Estate Guru Turns Tables on Competitor

Bring it on Clayton.....

I said it in a past thread - I never cared for Clayton Morris. In his videos he came off as a condescending, know-it-all narcissist. My 'shady person alarm' went off when I watched his videos (I only watched a few - I would much rather get hypnotized by videos of Brandon Turner's beard and the critters/real estate deals that reside in it). 

As long as you told the truth in the video there's nothing to worry about; if anything, you did the world a service to keep others from losing money.  

It's a shame people get ripped off handing their money over in real estate deals as it keeps some people from taking the first step to investing (which is why I control all my properties and would never hand my money over to someone else - just a personal choice).

It keeps getting more and more interesting. I assume if mr. Morris lost YouTube claim  you can post the video unless they suing for an Injunction and so forth. I would definitely get a lawyer on board to assist asap. This is not legal or tax advise.

Ah, there it is, the supposed copy-written work being infringed: 

"Photograph - Clayton Morris personal headshot"

Seems like if he does have standing it'd be easy enough to take that out and the show will go on...

Originally posted by @Matthew Olszak :

Ah, there it is, the supposed copy-written work being infringed: 

"Photograph - Clayton Morris personal headshot"

Seems like if he does have standing it'd be easy enough to take that out and the show will go on...

I haven't read the court documents (don't have a subscription), but if this is the only claim that is hilarious.  @James Wise is that the only basis of the claim?  Did they ask you nicely during prior correspondence not to use the image?

Wow just wow. You are brave @James Wise . Shady AF. I hope it all goes away quickly but unfortunately it is probably to his advantage to drag it out as long as possible. Anything to buy time from that film getting released.

Originally posted by @Justin Kay :

@James Wise at least you got his signed autograph at the end of the Complaint (the Verification)

Silver linings lol.

Too bad Ohio doesn't have an anti-slapp law.. This is exactly the reason they exist - this clown has the resources to file motions until the end of time (or.. at least until his assets get seized), and he's hoping that'll be enough to make you go away, or at least buy some time.

I think the Streisand effect is gonna kick in though. All this lawsuit is gonna do, is attract more attention to the huge amount of negative material that's are already out there about him. At this point, one of the first Google results about him is that the FBI is investigating his business. 

@James Wise This is such a stupid move on Morris' part.  He is destined to lose this as long as James fully mounts a defense.  So in the end, all it will do is draw more negative attention to Morris.  I guess Morris is just hoping that he can call @James Wise bluff in the hopes that James doesn't want to spend the money to defend himself.

Doing everything to protect his con game......

James you are a brave man to take this on..... a lot to shoulder to expose this fraud..... hope its worth it.....

Originally posted by @Victor S. :

Reposting this gif from another thread. Can somebody photoshop an orange suit on this? lol

P.S. I hope this isn't copyrighted...

I posted this on the original thread. You own me royalties, haha.

Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock :
Originally posted by @Victor S.:

Reposting this gif from another thread. Can somebody photoshop an orange suit on this? lol

Joe I can hook you up with Clayton's attorney if you'd like to file a claim against Victor trading on your good name like that. 

Clayton was a journalist and knows there are fair use exclusions to copyright. Fox News and every other news station uses copyright imagery and video regularly in reporting the news. Commentators on those channels also use copyright material for criticism or commentary. You can also use it for parody or comedic purposes.

In the clip on Youtube Morris actually refers to @James Wise and says you are a journalist right? That is proof that Morris believes James Wise to be a journalist. Morris being an ex-journalist should be a credible judge of who is a journalist. 

Morris is just trying to scare James or slow his roll a little bit. Half the time when these court cases are filed, it is known they will not win. The entire purpose is simply a delay tactic. You hope the other party gets tired or runs out of money to fight. Worst case you draw the process out several months and slow down the release.

Ultimately anyone using copyright material, educate yourself on fair use. Consult an attorney if you are unsure or if you are doing something extremely inflammatory. I am assuming James Wise has a good attorney looking at this.

The below NOLO article does an excellent job explaining fair use for anyone interested:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/fair-use-rule-copyright-material-30100.html

Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock :

Clayton was a journalist and knows there are fair use exclusions to copyright. Fox News and every other news station uses copyright imagery and video regularly in reporting the news. Commentators on those channels also use copyright material for criticism or commentary. You can also use it for parody or comedic purposes.

In the clip on Youtube Morris actually refers to James Wise and says you are a journalist right? That is proof that Morris believes James Wise to be a journalist. Morris being an ex-journalist should be a credible judge of who is a journalist. 

Morris is just trying to scare James or slow his roll a little bit. Half the time when these court cases are filed, it is known they will not win. The entire purpose is simply a delay tactic. You hope the other party gets tired or runs out of money to fight. Worst case you draw the process out several months and slow down the release.

Ultimately anyone using copyright material, educate yourself on fair use. Consult an attorney if you are unsure or if you are doing something extremely inflammatory. I am assuming James Wise has a good attorney looking at this.

The below NOLO article does an excellent job explaining fair use for anyone interested:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/fair-use-rule-copyright-material-30100.html

Great post Joe. To your assumption, yes we've got legal representation working on this. We've been working on this project for the better half of 2019 and knew going into it that there may be an effort from Clayton Morris to jam us up. This isn't my first rodeo in the media by any means.

My team is very confident in everything we've done up to this point and the folks out there waiting for the shoe to drop can expect the full video to get released just as we were able to get the trailer re-released despite Clayton's feeble attempt at suppression. Heck, the trailer was only offline for about 19 days. 

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:
Originally posted by @Victor S.:

Joe I can hook you up with Clayton's attorney if you'd like to file a claim against Victor trading on your good name like that. 

I will let it slide. After all, he did give me the orange jump suit photo shop idea. All credit for the dancing Clayton meme goes to Fox and Friends anyways. Although I am pretty sure Fox and Friends doesn't want credit for anything related to this mess. 

This lawsuit just gives you more documentary content and it is free publicity. He would have been way better off ignoring you, but he is letting his ego get in the way.

Impressive @James Wise , but you have note "really" arrived until you make Natalie's blog where she trashes you while talking about "Life Challenges" and other holistic healing mumbo jumbo.   You have miles to go yet my friend.   

Originally posted by @John Nachtigall :

Impressive @James Wise, but you have note "really" arrived until you make Natalie's blog where she trashes you while talking about "Life Challenges" and other holistic healing mumbo jumbo.   You have miles to go yet my friend.   

Lol what was the term they played up repeatedly when they were trying to spin everything?

Soul challenge?

Soul search?

Soul quest?

Somebody help your boy out here.

Interesting. I watched many videos he and his wife made for youtube. He came across as a calm (not hyped up, exaggerating persona). I felt comfortable watching the two of them. BUT... but I'm not watching him anymore. I called Morris Invest regarding their Self-Directed IRAs. To make a long story short, a con job. I felt if he is associated with the person I spoke to and basically supporting the information that I was or was not given... well, I'm done with Morris Invest. First time in a long I made the right call. I am stupid, gullible, and loyal to a fault. I want to believe people have good intentions. I'm 56 and still hoping.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here