When do you say you aren't a newbie anymore?

31 Replies

When you don't have to ask what words mean anymore, when you know what the inspector is looking for at an inspection, little things like that.

GREAT question. I'd say once that first deal is under your belt. Eager to follow this discussion!

@Jerry Lucker no particular reason and no personal reflection on like myself or anything. Just was curious as to how others view it and wanted to start a discussion on the topic that may not normally come up within the forums. Maybe get some feel thought going by others.

Updated 5 months ago

Deep thought*

I think the answer depends on how hands-on you are. If you're self-managing, dealing with tenants, participating in repairs, overseeing the accounting, hiring tradespeople, etc. you're [most likely] going to be less of a newbie than someone who is hands-off (I.E. they buy a turnkey and let the property manager deal with the day-to-day). 

Also, having a thirst for real estate knowledge and learning from one's mistakes along the way will put an investor on the fast track to real estate heroics. :-)

@Ned Carey I feel like Aaron’s answer only lends itself to things someone experienced could tell you. If you sat down with an agent for an hour you could know what to look for and learn some terms.

This includes no real experience yet

Never. Ninja training emphasizes having an attitude of openness, eagerness, and lack of preconceptions when studying a subject, even when studying at an advanced level, just as a beginner would. Shoshin/the beginner's mind is key to success. 

Hi @Jeremy Goldizen , this is such a very good question. I would say that you never stop being a newbie, I have been doing this for years, but I will never stop being a newbie. Things change so much and if you are someone who loves to learn new things and incorporate them, then you never stop being a newbie. That's just my thought about myself.

Thanks for the great question!

Originally posted by @Clayton Mobley :

Hi @Jeremy Goldizen, this is such a very good question. I would say that you never stop being a newbie, I have been doing this for years, but I will never stop being a newbie. Things change so much and if you are someone who loves to learn new things and incorporate them, then you never stop being a newbie. That's just my thought about myself.

Thanks for the great question!

Thank you!! I as well have the same approach.  I currently work full time at a HS where I am a strength coach and have been one for almost 10 years now, so with training athletes  and clients things are always evolving.  I still consider myself a newbie strength coach lol In my opinion, I guess if you get comfortable and stop evolving that’s when mistakes will happen.  My approach as a strength coach won’t differ from my approach in real estate. 

When you never set foot on the property you purchased and got a hell of a deal

When the phone isn't ringing but you keep spending on marketing and don't view it as throwing away money 

When you have multiple projects and deals going, but are never too overwhelmed to keep marketing

When you absolutely need an Admin Assistant

When title companies, past sellers, and realtors are referring people to you because you "handled ya business" with others

When your rehabs go from $15K to $90K, and you aint scared

When your estimated ARVs and appraisals are consistently in the ballpark

When your lenders start telling you they can do "this and that" for you that they didn't tell you before

Originally posted by @Daren H. :

When you never set foot on the property you purchased and got a hell of a deal

When the phone isn't ringing but you keep spending on marketing and don't view it as throwing away money 

When you have multiple projects and deals going, but are never too overwhelmed to keep marketing

When you absolutely need an Admin Assistant

When title companies, past sellers, and realtors are referring people to you because you "handled ya business" with others

When your rehabs go from $15K to $90K, and you aint scared

When your estimated ARVs and appraisals are consistently in the ballpark

When your lenders start telling you they can do "this and that" for you that they didn't tell you before

I like it! 

I guess I don't consider myself too much of a newbie at landlording anymore (Now over 3 years with 33 units); I have solid processes in place for all of the basics. I'm still working on improvements but I have a system that works.

While I know my market very well and am comfortable evaluating properties and neighborhoods, I've only done 4 actual investment property purchase deals and no sales so I still feel like a newbie at the buying and selling process.

Since you offered your post as "light hearted," I'd have to say it was the first time I wasn't nervous at Closing wondering if I'd made a mistake with my numbers, and feeling comfortable that I could sign documents without asking for clarity on every page the Title officer was sliding in front of me.  That was my 5th time. 

@Jeremy Goldizen

I'm on door 22 in 18 months and I still consider myself a newbie. Yes, I've learned a lot, but until I reach financial freedom, I'm perfectly fine saying that.

I have been investing for almost 15 years with rentals and flips, but I am still learning as if I were only doing it for 6 months. While I'm not a "Newbie" per say, I still have so much to learn that it sometimes feels like I am.

When you wake up in the morning having had no plans to acquire a property and go to bed with a property under contract.

When you stopped counting how many deals you've done...or you don't know how many apartment units you have in your portfolio unless you check your PM app...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here