Sellers or Movers damaged hardwood floor after final walkthrough!

Sellers or Movers damaged hardwood floor after final walkthrough!

Lakewood, OH · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 1 vote

Final walk through was Tuesday 11-5. No damage to hardwood floors at entrance of home on Tuesday 11-5. Sellers movers removed all belongings on Wednesday 11-6. I closed on my home on Thursday 11-7. We moved in Friday 11-8. 
Realtor met met at the house and did a walk through a few minutes before we arrived. She immediately notice 2 large deep scratches on the hardwood floor. This area is 90 sq ft. The scratches are on beveled hardwood floor. The scratches run approximately 22 inches long and there are 2 of them. Looks like movers dragged a filing cabinet across the floor.

I received a quote today to fix the issue. Due to the beveled edges being a 1/4 inch it is extremely difficult to sand this down and re-stain the entire floor. It would be more costly to go this method and the beveled area would still not look correct. 

He quoted $746 labor to fix the area, and I am looking into getting quotes for the materials. I am expecting around $650 in materials due to the high quality would previously used.

Who is responsible for this? The sellers or the movers? Do the sellers pay up and they go after the movers? What do I need to do besides get quotes and send to my agent for review? What should I look out for to ensure this is done correctly and paid for? Looking for any advice and recommendations.

1Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

@Matt Morgan

Good luck collecting anything. Always do final walkthrough on settlement day.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Seller is responsible as it was their movers that caused the damage if they even used movers, so they can go after the movers for the money or accept the fact that movers that are paid in pizza can cost them money.

  • Lakewood, OH · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thanks. Do you have any source for sellers are responsible? I figured they were.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Matt Morgan

    Good luck collecting anything. Always do final walkthrough on settlement day.

  • Lakewood, OH · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Any other thoughts from other posters? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I would have my agent contact their agent to discuss 

    Also, it sounds to me like this is prestained flooring.... i am not sure you can sand and restain? I would maybe see if you can find out what brand/color it is and just buy new pieces and have them installed. Maybe you will be lucky and there is a box of them in the basement? 

  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Matt Morgan This is the reason that we do the final walk through immediately before closing - normally on the way to the closing table.  Normally, we'd estimate the cost of repairs and do a hold back of funds at closing, sufficient to remedy.

    Now that you've closed, you own the problem - at least that's how the laws here in MA are interpreted.  Maybe things are different in Ohio.

    I'd talk to the managing broker at your Realtor's agency.  See if you can get any help there.  The mover in theory should be responsible, but I'd expect them to question whether you caused the damages when you moved in.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.