Sellers or Movers damaged hardwood floor after final walkthrough!

6 Replies

Final walk through was Tuesday 11-5. No damage to hardwood floors at entrance of home on Tuesday 11-5. Sellers movers removed all belongings on Wednesday 11-6. I closed on my home on Thursday 11-7. We moved in Friday 11-8. 
Realtor met met at the house and did a walk through a few minutes before we arrived. She immediately notice 2 large deep scratches on the hardwood floor. This area is 90 sq ft. The scratches are on beveled hardwood floor. The scratches run approximately 22 inches long and there are 2 of them. Looks like movers dragged a filing cabinet across the floor.

I received a quote today to fix the issue. Due to the beveled edges being a 1/4 inch it is extremely difficult to sand this down and re-stain the entire floor. It would be more costly to go this method and the beveled area would still not look correct. 

He quoted $746 labor to fix the area, and I am looking into getting quotes for the materials. I am expecting around $650 in materials due to the high quality would previously used.

Who is responsible for this? The sellers or the movers? Do the sellers pay up and they go after the movers? What do I need to do besides get quotes and send to my agent for review? What should I look out for to ensure this is done correctly and paid for? Looking for any advice and recommendations.

Seller is responsible as it was their movers that caused the damage if they even used movers, so they can go after the movers for the money or accept the fact that movers that are paid in pizza can cost them money.

I would have my agent contact their agent to discuss

Also, it sounds to me like this is prestained flooring.... i am not sure you can sand and restain? I would maybe see if you can find out what brand/color it is and just buy new pieces and have them installed. Maybe you will be lucky and there is a box of them in the basement? 

@Matt Morgan This is the reason that we do the final walk through immediately before closing - normally on the way to the closing table.  Normally, we'd estimate the cost of repairs and do a hold back of funds at closing, sufficient to remedy.

Now that you've closed, you own the problem - at least that's how the laws here in MA are interpreted.  Maybe things are different in Ohio.

I'd talk to the managing broker at your Realtor's agency. See if you can get any help there. The mover in theory should be responsible, but I'd expect them to question whether you caused the damages when you moved in.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here