Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Rachel Hertel
Votes |
Studying to become an agent

Rachel Hertel
Posted Dec 30 2019, 13:18

Does anyone have suggestions on what programs they recommend for the 90 hours of education required before sitting for the license exam? I am at a crossroads in my career, and since I've gained an interest in investing, I think it would be beneficial for me to become an agent, and delve deeper.

Also, if I am not certain I will be staying in Nashville, would it still be beneficial to pursue this goal? Or would it not make sense until I know for sure where I will end up? There is a possibility of my husband and I moving in the next 6 months for his job.

Thank you for the input!

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied Dec 30 2019, 19:33

@Rachel Hertel it would make no sense for you to start course work in a state where you may not stay. The course work is primarily about compliance with real estate law, and it is all state specific. Also, the license is reciprocal with some states but you still have to do quite a bit to practice in a different state. 

Investing is really not related to being an agent. Being an agent is great though if that is what you want to do!

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Musto
  • Wholesaler
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jan 2 2020, 12:33

Hey @Rachel Hertel! I would have to agree with @John Warren - it wouldn't make sense for you to start the educational component now as you are not sure if you are going to end up staying in the state. Even if you were to get your license in TN and move to a different state that does allow for reciprocity, you'd still have to do additional coursework in your new state to get up to speed with their real estate laws before being granted licensure there. 

If you decide that you want to get going sooner rather than later, I would recommend Real Estate Express. They have both the 60 hour course AND the 30 hour course that you'll need to pass prior to getting granted your license in TN. Easy to follow modules and covered all the necessary material for the exams. 

Being an agent while investing can certainly save you some money, but it is not a necessity and shouldn't be looked at as a barrier to entry. Best of luck with whatever route you choose to go!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Ozanick
  • Property Manager
  • Janesville, WI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Janesville, WI
Replied Jan 2 2020, 13:39

I started working in and with the investment world and found me getting my license was a significantly beneficial step to my growth. I think you have the right idea 100%. However, do not waste your valuable time without knowing if you will be living in the same state.

User Stats

Votes
Rachel Hertel
Votes |
Replied Jan 4 2020, 18:33

@John Warren Thank you for clarifying! I know being an agent isnt totally related to investing, but since I am in a place of reconsidering my career, I can't help but think that it may be helpful to work in the industry. If I can surround myself with professionals in real estate, hopefully I can pick up tools and knowledge along the way.

@Ryan Musto This is really helpful! Since I'm not totally certain if we'll be leaving the state, I will look into the Real Estate Express program.

@Calvin Ozanick Thank you for your advice!