Using 1031 Exchange from Wholesaling to Buy Rentals?

Using 1031 Exchange from Wholesaling to Buy Rentals?

Rental Property Investor · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 40 votes

I have begun gaining some traction getting deals under contract and have started accumulating a small buyers list. I don't want to be wholesaling long term though. I want to be developing my rental portfolio for long term wealth building.

I do use the term wholesaling kind of loosely here, as I have purchased the properties using my own cash, and then are proceeding to sell them to other buyers. I haven't gotten one "wholesaled" yet.

Since I am using my own cash to purchase, and then sell, I am thinking that doing a 1031 exchange, and then purchasing rental units with the tax deferred money might be a good idea.

I am only somewhat familiar with how a 1031 exchange works, but know that it provides benefits for people who are trying to move one asset into a similar asset without having to pay capital gains tax.

Has anyone out there done this kind of thing before and have any insights? Can you think of any reasons why I shouldn't do this?

1Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Dave FosterBusiness Member
Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
6y

@Melanie Hartmann and @Nathaniel Hovsepian, There is no statutory holding period that qualifies a property for a 1031 exchange.  It is your intent and how you can demonstrate that intent.

If you buy a property primarily to resell (sort of like you're doing or as a traditional fix n flip) then you cannot do a 1031.  Your intent must have been to hold for productive use.

Most folks feel comfortable at anything more than a year.  But there could always be situations where a hold time of less than (or more than) a year would be appropriate.

Things that demonstrate your intent are unsolicited offers to purchase it from you, actually putting a rentor in and treating it like a buy and hold, communicating with your professionals, listing it for rent, actual rent production, your past practice, etc etc.  Every case is different.  You just have to use the mirror test - look in a mirror and if you can say you were intending to hold the property with a straight face then you've got a good case.

The 1031 is incredibly powerful as @Frank Chin said.  And it's interesting Nathaniel that you're already well down the road to becoming a savvy 1031 investor.  Just put the brakes on some of those resales.  Use the Brrrr method on the first ones.  And before you know it you'll be building wealth from rental income, equity by acquisition, and making money off the deferred tax.

Melanie, keep looking dere be a whole heap of folks who've never paid a penny in capital gains tax.  Here's a BP blog we wrote on some of the exit strategies - https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/1031-exchange-files-3-buy-hold-exit-strategies

The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    In order to qualify for a 1031, you must have held the property as a rental for a period of time, preferably at least 18 months, or about two years to be safe. Without going further, it does not seem that you met this requirement. Sounds more like you're doing a flip.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    6y

    Hey Nate! I don't know much about the 1031 exchange yet myself so very much looking forward to the insight provided by those more familiar. 

    I do know that capital gains tax is only deferred through a 1031 exchange so eventually it will have to be paid. What that looks like, when, and how I am not sure.

  • Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hey Nate! I don't know much about the 1031 exchange yet myself so very much looking forward to the insight provided by those more familiar. 

    I do know that capital gains tax is only deferred through a 1031 exchange so eventually it will have to be paid. What that looks like, when, and how I am not sure.

    With 1031 exchanges, you'll have to hold it as a rental, and then take the entire proceeds, and 1031 it into something larger. You cannot touch the proceeds, must be done thru a QI, (Qualified Intermediary) There's a few on this site, like @Dave Foster

    You can go on forever like this, 1031 into a replacement property, or several replacement properties. Then you can sell the replacement, 1031 into a third generation, 4th generation and so forth. If you 1031 into something smaller, you'll pay capital gains on the difference.

    It's a long term game, and if you hold these things to your death, with the stepped up bases, there's no cap gains for your heirs. If you get tired of doing rentals in between, you can 1031 into DST's, in short, managed rentals that guarantees certain returns. See DST 

    Yes, there's a few rules you got to follow, but if you know them, or utilize a knowlegible QI, it ca be very financially rewarding.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    @Frank Chin I didn't know that. I thought it was just any property that you made gains on?

    I am looking for long term investments, so I guess I should get in touch with someone who is well versed in this and start to learn some more

  • Rental Property Investor · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    @Melanie Hartmann well, you better start learning with me!

    Glad to friend you on BP as well!

  • Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nathaniel Hovsepian:

    @Frank Chin I didn't know that. I thought it was just any property that you made gains on?

    I am looking for long term investments, so I guess I should get in touch with someone who is well versed in this and start to learn some more

    See this article on the 1031 holding period: 1031 how long to hold 

    Note that the holding period is not specified in the law, but at least 180 days is often cited as a safe period to hold it, but the longer the better.

    Additionally, your name should be on the title of the one you're selling, and a similar name on the one being purchased, and it does not match the definition of "Wholesaling", where you're some in between guy, your name doesn't show up anywhere.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Melanie Hartmann and @Nathaniel Hovsepian, There is no statutory holding period that qualifies a property for a 1031 exchange.  It is your intent and how you can demonstrate that intent.

    If you buy a property primarily to resell (sort of like you're doing or as a traditional fix n flip) then you cannot do a 1031.  Your intent must have been to hold for productive use.

    Most folks feel comfortable at anything more than a year.  But there could always be situations where a hold time of less than (or more than) a year would be appropriate.

    Things that demonstrate your intent are unsolicited offers to purchase it from you, actually putting a rentor in and treating it like a buy and hold, communicating with your professionals, listing it for rent, actual rent production, your past practice, etc etc.  Every case is different.  You just have to use the mirror test - look in a mirror and if you can say you were intending to hold the property with a straight face then you've got a good case.

    The 1031 is incredibly powerful as @Frank Chin said.  And it's interesting Nathaniel that you're already well down the road to becoming a savvy 1031 investor.  Just put the brakes on some of those resales.  Use the Brrrr method on the first ones.  And before you know it you'll be building wealth from rental income, equity by acquisition, and making money off the deferred tax.

    Melanie, keep looking dere be a whole heap of folks who've never paid a penny in capital gains tax.  Here's a BP blog we wrote on some of the exit strategies - https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/1031-exchange-files-3-buy-hold-exit-strategies

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    @Dave Foster Thank you for all of that info. Now that you mention the "intent" aspect, I definitely remember hearing about this before. 

    I could not look myself in the mirror and say that I had the intent to hold these long term, so looks like I can't do a 1031 on them.

    Guess I am going to have to pay taxes on these, like a sucker!

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Nathaniel Hovsepian At least your silent partner Uncle Sam is happy :(

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    @Dave Foster That Uncle Sam has got me comin and goin

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dave Foster:

    @Melanie Hartmann and @Nathaniel Hovsepian, There is no statutory holding period that qualifies a property for a 1031 exchange.  It is your intent and how you can demonstrate that intent.

    If you buy a property primarily to resell (sort of like you're doing or as a traditional fix n flip) then you cannot do a 1031.  Your intent must have been to hold for productive use.

    Most folks feel comfortable at anything more than a year.  But there could always be situations where a hold time of less than (or more than) a year would be appropriate.

    Things that demonstrate your intent are unsolicited offers to purchase it from you, actually putting a rentor in and treating it like a buy and hold, communicating with your professionals, listing it for rent, actual rent production, your past practice, etc etc.  Every case is different.  You just have to use the mirror test - look in a mirror and if you can say you were intending to hold the property with a straight face then you've got a good case.

    The 1031 is incredibly powerful as @Frank Chin said.  And it's interesting Nathaniel that you're already well down the road to becoming a savvy 1031 investor.  Just put the brakes on some of those resales.  Use the Brrrr method on the first ones.  And before you know it you'll be building wealth from rental income, equity by acquisition, and making money off the deferred tax.

    Melanie, keep looking dere be a whole heap of folks who've never paid a penny in capital gains tax.  Here's a BP blog we wrote on some of the exit strategies - https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/1031-exchange-files-3-buy-hold-exit-strategies

    This is excellent! Thank you! I was contemplating applying the BRRRR strategy for the property I'm in the middle of flipping but once I heard what the rental rates would be, I doubt the numbers would make sense. So I'll flip it and then I'll keep my eyes out for a better property to apply that strategy too. I should also connect with someone in my local area who has done this so I can learn a few tips/tricks. I primarily got into real estate to acquire buy-and-holds, learned about the BRRRR strategy, and decided to get into wholesaling. Now that I'm flipping and working on increasing cash reserves, I'm looking forward to potentially buying my first buy-and-hold property this year, depending on how things go

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nathaniel Hovsepian:

    @Melanie Hartmann well, you better start learning with me!

    Glad to friend you on BP as well!

     haha! and likewise!

    The sky is the limit! I love investing in real estate!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Frank Chin:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hey Nate! I don't know much about the 1031 exchange yet myself so very much looking forward to the insight provided by those more familiar. 

    I do know that capital gains tax is only deferred through a 1031 exchange so eventually it will have to be paid. What that looks like, when, and how I am not sure.

    With 1031 exchanges, you'll have to hold it as a rental, and then take the entire proceeds, and 1031 it into something larger. You cannot touch the proceeds, must be done thru a QI, (Qualified Intermediary) There's a few on this site, like @Dave Foster

    You can go on forever like this, 1031 into a replacement property, or several replacement properties. Then you can sell the replacement, 1031 into a third generation, 4th generation and so forth. If you 1031 into something smaller, you'll pay capital gains on the difference.

    It's a long term game, and if you hold these things to your death, with the stepped up bases, there's no cap gains for your heirs. If you get tired of doing rentals in between, you can 1031 into DST's, in short, managed rentals that guarantees certain returns. See DST 

    Yes, there's a few rules you got to follow, but if you know them, or utilize a knowlegible QI, it ca be very financially rewarding.

    Thank you Frank! I didn't know about this. All very helpful. I can't wait to learn more and get to the point where I am able to start doing this.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    Hey @Melanie Hartmann Buy and Holds is where it's at! 

    I haven't found one yet to BRRRR, but getting that cash flow coming in. Set out to get 2 rentals that cash flow $200 per month with an annual 10% ROI by April 3rd. I am closing on my first Jan 28th!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nathaniel Hovsepian:

    Hey @Melanie Hartmann Buy and Holds is where it's at! 

    I haven't found one yet to BRRRR, but getting that cash flow coming in. Set out to get 2 rentals that cash flow $200 per month with an annual 10% ROI by April 3rd. I am closing on my first Jan 28th!

    This is very exciting! I can't wait to be in your shoes!! Keep us updated on the numbers and how things turn out. I'd love to learn from the case study if you decide to create one for this property. 

  • Rental Property Investor · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    @Melanie Hartmann the case study has been closed. We had to back out of the deal due to some repairs that the inspector uncovered that I did not notice. It had a foundation concern, and at the very top of the roof, that I couldn't see, the shingles were all jacked up and it was recommended to go ahead and replace the whole roof. 

    The seller was selling the property to me as is because we were pretty far under their "asking price". Oh well, on to the next one. I still plan on getting 2 by April 3rd!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nathaniel Hovsepian:

    @Melanie Hartmann the case study has been closed. We had to back out of the deal due to some repairs that the inspector uncovered that I did not notice. It had a foundation concern, and at the very top of the roof, that I couldn't see, the shingles were all jacked up and it was recommended to go ahead and replace the whole roof. 

    The seller was selling the property to me as is because we were pretty far under their "asking price". Oh well, on to the next one. I still plan on getting 2 by April 3rd!

     Much better to walk away from a bad deal than potentially being stuck with one. Ask me how I know. Hahaha!

    I look forward to hearing about the next one you do purchase and how all the numbers shake out. I watched a webinar on buying multifamily houses and how to add value and utilize the 1031 exchange. It reignited the fire for sure! One day...

  • Rental Property Investor · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    @Melanie Hartmann we are going to get some solid rentals going and then about 5 years from now we will 1031 them into a huge apartment complex and retire! You in?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.