Franklinton = most interesting area in Columbus: Yes or No?

17 Replies

My Opinion: Franklinton is the most interesting area in Columbus

I am rehabbing a 4 unit I bought off-market for $80,000. My first deal I got cold calling. I only had to talk to this seller for a year. It is a complete gut and I partnered with my broker to learn how to manage a rehab on this scale. Here are the initial walkthrough videos https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mPyjLJIW2QDPgZPRePyrKFYXXBxm4A_D. I recently tried to do another house hack in Franklinton. I was in contract for $145,000 but it appraised at $120,000. We negotiated down a little (about $135,000 I think) but it still was not a good enough deal for me to sink my limited cash into. 

Franklinton has become my favorite place to drink on the weekends. My favorite bar is Land Grant (yes the name is that because the city gave them a great incentive to build there). Across the street is BrewDog, and Tafts just opened up. There are some of the best breweries in Ohio and more are coming. CoverMyMeds is building their $240,000,000 headquarters there, gravity just announced their phase 2, and Mount Carmel West is being demolished for redevelopment.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aSKpAug4JZxYIvHzRotL36OPHjlahTiOPbZ0Xz3ijMM/edit?usp=sharing

Locals call this area the bottoms because 100 years ago the whole area flooded. Sullivant Ave has an extremely high crime rate and many property managers will not step foot in middle/west Franklinton including myself (I will manage my own but there is 0 chance I am managing for anyone else there. Donny from ERA will do a much better job for you and I may even give him my units). If you can weather the storm for a few more years I think Franklinton will undergo the same revitalization the Short North saw 10 years ago.

What do you think?

Originally posted by @Remington Lyman :

I am rehabbing a 4 unit I bought off-market for $80,000. My first deal I got cold calling. I only had to talk to this seller for a year. It is a complete gut and I partnered with my broker to learn how to manage a rehab on this scale. Here are the initial walkthrough videos https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mPyjLJIW2QDPgZPRePyrKFYXXBxm4A_D. I recently tried to do another house hack in Franklinton. I was in contract for $145,000 but it appraised at $120,000. We negotiated down a little (about $135,000 I think) but it still was not a good enough deal for me to sink my limited cash into. 

Franklinton has become my favorite place to drink on the weekends. My favorite bar is Land Grant (yes the name is that because the city gave them a great incentive to build there). Across the street is BrewDog, and Tafts just opened up. There are some of the best breweries in Ohio and more are coming. CoverMyMeds is building their $240,000,000 headquarters there, gravity just announced their phase 2, and Mount Carmel West is being demolished for redevelopment.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aSKpAug4JZxYIvHzRotL36OPHjlahTiOPbZ0Xz3ijMM/edit?usp=sharing

Locals call this area the bottoms because 100 years ago the whole area flooded. Sullivant Ave has an extremely high crime rate and many property managers will not step foot in middle/west Franklinton including myself (I will manage my own but there is 0 chance I am managing for anyone else there. Donny from ERA will do a much better job for you and I may even give him my units). If you can weather the storm for a few more years I think Franklinton will undergo the same revitalization the Short North saw 10 years ago.

What do you think?

Based on the data for the area year over year I can see the same revitalization that happened in the Short North happen here, maybe even faster than it did in the Short North considering how quickly things are changing in the area now!

Originally posted by @Robert Ellis :
Originally posted by @Remington Lyman:

What do you think?

Based on the data for the area year over year I can see the same revitalization that happened in the Short North happen here, maybe even faster than it did in the Short North considering how quickly things are changing in the area now!

I heard you have a double on Sullivant! 

Originally posted by @Travis Smith:

Yes.  Fortunate to be a part of a project on State and Gift.  Its happen so fast.   

What is the address?

BTW.... What do you think of the little pocket SW of Glenwood and Sullivant, N of 70? Bellows/Campbell/Yale/Nace/Holton/Thomas etc?

I have a friend right there who has a house he is trying to figure out what to do with. He thinks the area is awful and is considering selling cheaply. I am not at all familiar with that area so I have no idea what the outlook is, if that part of Franklinton is seeing the same benefits as the rest. 

What do you think?

I finally got around to checking out those videos of the walk-thru.   Was your guy wearing a bulletproof vest?    Love to see how this comes out after rehab, these are some filthy units. 

Also I think there are more cats than tenants.

Originally posted by @Nicky Reader :
Originally posted by @Travis Smith:

Yes.  Fortunate to be a part of a project on State and Gift.  Its happen so fast.   

What is the address?

BTW.... What do you think of the little pocket SW of Glenwood and Sullivant, N of 70? Bellows/Campbell/Yale/Nace/Holton/Thomas etc?

I have a friend right there who has a house he is trying to figure out what to do with. He thinks the area is awful and is considering selling cheaply. I am not at all familiar with that area so I have no idea what the outlook is, if that part of Franklinton is seeing the same benefits as the rest. 

I believe it will be one of the last parts of Franklinton to appreciate. I think it is many years away from gentrification. It could be a good hold if he has the stomach for it.

Originally posted by @Nicky Reader :

What do you think?

I finally got around to checking out those videos of the walk-thru.   Was your guy wearing a bulletproof vest?    Love to see how this comes out after rehab, these are some filthy units. 

Also I think there are more cats than tenants.

Yeah, that inspector wears a bulletproof vest and carries. All the cats and humans are out. Yeah, it will be good. I walked the outside with an OOS investor today and we got hassled by some high dude. Ah well

What do you think?

Wow! Never seen anything like that . Can't wait to see the "AFTER".  Thanks for sharing the videos.

Originally posted by @Armel Bayot :

What do you think?

Wow! Never seen anything like that . Can't wait to see the "AFTER".  Thanks for sharing the videos.

Thanks! 

Originally posted by @Ryan Mainwaring :

We have had great success in franklinton with 4 properties and can't wait to see what the future holds for it with all the private and public money investing into it.  

I assume it will continue to appreciate over the next few years. The only thing that can stop it is the complete collapse of the Columbus economy.

Originally posted by @Armel Bayot :

What do you think?

The basement poo pond with sewage dripping onto the hot water heater was a first for me too. Also it looked like almost every units floor was wet, yet I didnt see any mops. All those things can be fixed but it sure does have a heck of a "before!"

I work at the Idea Foundry for my day job so I'm very excited to see what is happening to this area. Also excited for the area west of Mt. Carmel. Once you get off Sullivant Ave you find some very nice neighborhoods with a strong working class. My wife and I keep house hunting there for our next rental so we see the potential. 

Originally posted by @Robert Ellis:

What do you think?

I heard you have a double on Sullivant! 

A duplex we converted into 2 condos, just listed the remodeled side last week!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here