Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Adam L.
Votes |
Corporate Relocation...Do I keep my house to rent or sell it?

Adam L.
Posted May 18 2020, 14:18

So I'm looking to take a job that comes with a pretty kush relocation package. I'm torn on the idea of selling my house or holding it for a rental and appreciation in equity. Curious what this forum thinks.

Details below.

The House

1. - I live in Austin, TX. A hot market. Home purchased 2016 for $545k w/ 20% down. Mortgage=$3k/mo, $386k remaining @ 3.25% (includes property taxes and property insurance.), also no HOA.
  2. - the home is in the NW austin area....Cedar park/Balcones/RoundRock/Leander area... Big plans for upcoming developments (Domain North) and employers (Apple Campus).
  3. - The home is a 4br/2ba with a great yard, 1/3 acre, in an all 10/10 school district (BVS) (elem, mid, high), backing up to a golf course, so it feels like a bigger space.
  4. - Zillow estimates currently @ $650k.

The Relo:

1. - pays sellers closing costs, including the full 6% realtor fees if I sell my house.
  2. - pays the buyers closing costs, up to 2.5% if I buy a house at new location.
  3. - I have up to 1 year to utilize the benefits, so I could totally rent out my place and then sell next year.

So any input here? Capturing that 6% sellers fee seems HUGE, but I'm worried that if I ever do move back to this neighborhood, I would be priced out and unable to buy in. I think I could rent out my house pretty easily in the $3k/mo range. How do I help make this decision?

side note: the new location is Boise, so another hot RE market.

Loading replies...