Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Darren Sager
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Patriot Act on Netflix Perverts What Real Estate Investor Are

Darren Sager
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
ModeratorPosted

A recent episode of the Netflix show called Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj recently came out and in my personal opinion, perverted the truth when it comes to what so many of us do with real estate investing.  Has anyone watched it and seen how he skewered @James Wise?  Now I know that James' political views lean to the right (which may have made him a target since Hasan is equally to the left).  Still, what Hasan portrayed in the episode if far from the norm.  I get the big corporations running their business like a machine.  Doesn't change the fact that most of us are mom and pop organizations just trying to provide for our families.  Have you seen it?  Have you seen how the supporters of the show are now attacking James' YouTube channel?   

Brighton Bank Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.#2 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied

@James Wise

When it came time to take down the real bad actor in our midst, who stuck his neck out there and pulled his wallet out of his pocket and went to bat for the guy who types "Clayton Morris" into Google? It wasn't me.

User Stats

Votes
Filipe Pereira
  • Property Manager
  • Windsor Locks, CT
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Windsor Locks, CT
Replied
Originally posted by @James Wise:

And if you are curious the reason we evicted that tenant was because he got blacked out drunk and pooped himself on a daily basis. He would poop in the hallway and leave his poopy pants piled up in his apartment. It was an 11 unit apartment building. The smell got so bad that the USPS refused to deliver mail to the entire building until he was gone. They would not step foot inside the hallway until he was out.

Hasan Minhaj ain't ever gonna tell ya that story though.....

Holy smokes. Wow.

I too, watched the clips. Good on you for putting yourself out there JW. Too many guys are all talk and no walk. Clearly you don't put up with it. Hopefully there's a few landlord's watching Hasan's show that filter over to your channel. Turn some of that (negative?) exposure into opportunity. 

Go get 'em, and thanks for what you do.  

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Originally posted by @Filipe Pereira:

And if you are curious the reason we evicted that tenant was because he got blacked out drunk and pooped himself on a daily basis. He would poop in the hallway and leave his poopy pants piled up in his apartment. It was an 11 unit apartment building. The smell got so bad that the USPS refused to deliver mail to the entire building until he was gone. They would not step foot inside the hallway until he was out.

Hasan Minhaj ain't ever gonna tell ya that story though.....

Holy smokes. Wow.

I too, watched the clips. Good on you for putting yourself out there JW. Too many guys are all talk and no walk. Clearly you don't put up with it. Hopefully there's a few landlord's watching Hasan's show that filter over to your channel. Turn some of that (negative?) exposure into opportunity. 

Go get 'em, and thanks for what you do.  

Ive never been one to back down from a fight lol. Much love and thanks for the support.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Lipscomb
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

I tuned out once Hasan started a sentence with - "Without massive federal intervention..."

User Stats

Votes
Karen O.
Pro Member
  • NYC, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • NYC, NY
Replied

I don't watch either show, but wonder if @James Wise has attempted to reach out to Hassan Minhaj and set him straight?

A simultaneous posting perhaps?

User Stats

Votes
James Wilcox
Agent
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY
Votes |
Agent
  • Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY
Replied
Originally posted by @Karen O.:

I don't watch either show, but wonder if @James Wise has attempted to reach out to Hassan Minhaj and set him straight?

I would totally watch that! In the end, I agree with @James Wise that the show didn't portray the whole truth accurately which is disappointing and the mentality it generates in the public is not good overall. However, James knows he has always been a target with a more divisive show and is ready for those jabs. Who ran the game on MI and helped exposed the truth for example? James. James will win in the long run though for the publicity boost and the bad public opinion will die down. He keeps it real. Enjoy that YT comment section in the meantime and that YT bump! lol

• Real Estate Agent Kentucky (#288548)

REI James w/ eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
  • Brooke Park Drive
Replied

User Stats

Votes
Don Spafford
Agent
  • Investor
  • Idaho Falls, ID
Votes |
Agent
  • Investor
  • Idaho Falls, ID
Replied

Just watched it. It's still an entertaining episode. They do make a good point right after the JW diss, about how the dominoes will fall if rent is not paid. Hopefully renters will understand a bit more what happens if they don't pay rent and the building gets bought by a bad landlord.

I've got a couple evictions that were filed right before this started and now they're riding the gravy train until they can be evicted. This episode did bring up a good point for those that maybe don't know that not all evictions are banned, unless the state passed something specific for their state. It depends on what type of loan is on the property.

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.#2 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied
Originally posted by @Don Spafford:

Just watched it. It's still an entertaining episode. They do make a good point right after the JW diss, about how the dominoes will fall if rent is not paid. Hopefully renters will understand a bit more what happens if they don't pay rent and the building gets bought by a bad landlord.

I've got a couple evictions that were filed right before this started and now they're riding the gravy train until they can be evicted. This episode did bring up a good point for those that maybe don't know that not all evictions are banned, unless the state passed something specific for their state. It depends on what type of loan is on the property.

My sense is that the show went looking for a player who might look and talk like a stereotypical urban slumlord. Jim provided the optics for their political point. He got some good free exposure. I routinely watch Patriot Act. Just like Jim said, the dude's funny. And usually very smart. But when it comes to property, as you said, i's amazing that Minaj puts Jim down and immediately explains the problem of not paying rent in a cogent manner. I'd bet Jim would even use some of the same concepts and graphics to explain the problem.

Everybody's beating their own drum and not listening to each other. And that's not going to change in the current political environment. But it's nasty to see this kind of drive-by opportunistic shotgunning of someone like Jim for no better reason than he just looks the part. It's Two Minute Hate.

User Stats

Votes
Coty Dolan
  • Investor
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied

There is a new bastardization of success and wealth in this country and would that is truly shocking.

Media appeals to this hate for those who have succeeded and made a life for themselves. 

Jeff Bezos solved more problems than anyone else every day, that's why he's going to be or is I'm not sure, a Trillionaire. 

Sorry for my brief rant. 

User Stats

Votes
James Hamling
Agent
#2 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Agent
#2 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied

@James Wise I am beggin ya buddy, you gotta get the crew to put a new intro on the show introducing "The World Famous James Wise, as featured on Netflix's The Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj". Please please please, I will piss myself with laughter. And make sure they have the video shot in slow motion when he had cut-aways of your show and he was pointing to it..... oh such great stuff, lmao.

I did find it so interesting how Hasan did add the so rarely stated fact of how taking down landlords finances is cutting the throats of the city tax's, all that supports which is ultimately the tenants. And then right back to the "cancel rents" bs. 

It kept pounding the drum of covid-19 and job loss, as if it's just that a-b, covid-19 caused job loss and people have no money. How about unemployment benefits? How about the ADDED UI bonus's? How about the $1,200 stimulus per person? No, not 1 singular mention of the trillions kicked out to help supplement people, apparently that was National Beer Money day. 

And the statement that covid-19 doesn't affect homeowners mortgage payments like it does renters rent payments..... wtf, are people actually that dumbed-down to not cath the nonsense of that. Maybe Hasan found the cure for COVID-19, a mortgage! 

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Originally posted by @Jim K.:

@James Wise

When it came time to take down the real bad actor in our midst, who stuck his neck out there and pulled his wallet out of his pocket and went to bat for the guy who types "Clayton Morris" into Google? It wasn't me.

You're the real MVP Jim.

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Lowe
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied
Originally posted by @Darren Sager:

A recent episode of the Netflix show called Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj recently came out and in my personal opinion, perverted the truth when it comes to what so many of us do with real estate investing.  Has anyone watched it and seen how he skewered @James Wise?  Now I know that James' political views lean to the right (which may have made him a target since Hasan is equally to the left).  Still, what Hasan portrayed in the episode if far from the norm.  I get the big corporations running their business like a machine.  Doesn't change the fact that most of us are mom and pop organizations just trying to provide for our families.  Have you seen it?  Have you seen how the supporters of the show are now attacking James' YouTube channel?   

I thought this was about some perverted stuff on Netflix for a minute.  Little slow on the uptake today.  

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Originally posted by @James Wilcox:
Originally posted by @Karen O.:

I would totally watch that! In the end, I agree with @James Wise that the show didn't portray the whole truth accurately which is disappointing and the mentality it generates in the public is not good overall. However, James knows he has always been a target with a more divisive show and is ready for those jabs. Who ran the game on MI and helped exposed the truth for example? James. James will win in the long run though for the publicity boost and the bad public opinion will die down. He keeps it real. Enjoy that YT comment section in the meantime and that YT bump! lol

I appreciate you James. Thanks brotha.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Singapore
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Singapore
Replied
Originally posted by @James Wise   

The personal attack on me aside, Hasan Minhaj is broadcasting inaccurate facts to millions of people. This is incredibly dangerous for our entire industry.

I see the slant and he highlights the really extreme examples but its not inaccurate per se. He does say small landlords need to collect rent to keep the home. And he is right that Wall Street will jump in. And I do believe Blackstone and other companies like that are behaving badly in taking advantage of tenants. As for James Wise, aren't you doing the same in highlighting nightmare tenant stores to get views and attention on your You Tube channel? There are plenty of good tenants and good landlords but those stories don't get ratings.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Originally posted by @James Hamling:

@James Wise I am beggin ya buddy, you gotta get the crew to put a new intro on the show introducing "The World Famous James Wise, as featured on Netflix's The Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj". Please please please, I will piss myself with laughter. And make sure they have the video shot in slow motion when he had cut-aways of your show and he was pointing to it..... oh such great stuff, lmao.

I did find it so interesting how Hasan did add the so rarely stated fact of how taking down landlords finances is cutting the throats of the city tax's, all that supports which is ultimately the tenants. And then right back to the "cancel rents" bs. 

It kept pounding the drum of covid-19 and job loss, as if it's just that a-b, covid-19 caused job loss and people have no money. How about unemployment benefits? How about the ADDED UI bonus's? How about the $1,200 stimulus per person? No, not 1 singular mention of the trillions kicked out to help supplement people, apparently that was National Beer Money day. 

And the statement that covid-19 doesn't affect homeowners mortgage payments like it does renters rent payments..... wtf, are people actually that dumbed-down to not cath the nonsense of that. Maybe Hasan found the cure for COVID-19, a mortgage! 

lol............I don't know if I'll go that far, but if you watch his show we are actually featured in his intro montage. \So I may tweak the intro montage to one of our shows with a quick clip of the beef between Hasan Minhaj and myself.

User Stats

Votes
Jose D.
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

This guy really suggested that landlords love evictions because evicting someone is better than "fixing a sink". Smh.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Originally posted by @Jose D.:

This guy really suggested that landlords love evictions because evicting someone is better than "fixing a sink". Smh.

He thinks evictions are the "billion dollar baby"..........Like we all sit around hoping the rent doesn't come in or something lol. Most landlords, especially new ones are just as TERRIFIED of eviction court as the tenants are.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied

@James Wise....Cartman the SlumLord

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

Yeeeeha....

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes