Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
Maryland realestate opportunities

Steven Jefferson
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Posted Jan 27 2021, 04:09

Good morning BP family. Need some direction and advice. Thinking about investing in buy and hold homes in the Maryland area. Does anyone know how the market is there? What areas should I look at ? Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Cross
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Smithsburg, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Smithsburg, MD
Replied Feb 7 2021, 13:45
What part of Maryland. The markets are so different near DC and Baltimore or western MD out near me. With PA and VA and WV so close there are also good opportunities there. The big question is what price range, what type of house, what style of investor are you looking to be and then folks can help you with an area or sub-market.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Feb 7 2021, 14:56

Maryland is a pretty big place.

Market is the hottest it has ever been. 

District Invest Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bobby Romadka
  • New to Real Estate
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Maryland
Replied Feb 7 2021, 15:19

I live in Baltimore County and looking in Columbia/Laurel/GlenBernie area. Frederick is really growing. Harford County is up and coming

User Stats

Votes
Joaquin Camarasa
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Replied Feb 7 2021, 15:19

@Steven Jefferson we would need to know what is the purchase price you are looking at and how much risk you are willing to take on.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Jefferson
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Feb 8 2021, 03:50

Thanks for all the responses. I currently invest in the Harrisburg PA area. I would like to concentrate on b,c area's under 100k if possible. 

User Stats

Votes
Joe Norman
  • Investor, Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Investor, Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Feb 8 2021, 05:45

In general real estate is going to be cheaper in Harrisburg than it will be just about anywhere in Maryland (with the exception of some of the "War Zones" in Baltimore City). If you're looking to stay under $100k and not be in a blighted neighborhood then you'll have some difficulty in Maryland and may want to stick to PA.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Ozzy Sirimsi
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Feb 8 2021, 10:24

Market is crazy and under 100K, you will end up in pretty bad area in Baltimore these days. everything is over priced.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Jefferson
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Feb 8 2021, 10:38

Thanks for the advice guys. Really appreciate it

User Stats

Votes
Brian Tome
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Worton, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Worton, MD
Replied Feb 8 2021, 10:41

@Steven Jefferson - We invest in Cecil County, Maryland and we are looking to move toward Kent County as well.  We do BRRRRs and often get in for a total that is right around $100K ($105-130K with purchase and reno) for a property that appraises for $140-180K and rents for $1250-1650 per month.  We leave some cash in some of our properties and get more than we put into some of them on the refinance.

After 3 years we have 7 properties generating $3000 a month cash flow on an investment of $300K.  We have 15 year notes on each of the properties and the total portfolio is worth right around $1M of which we have $450K and growing in equity.  So we are getting about a 10% cash on cash return with another roughly 12% on equity pay down.

As you can see we haven't hit any home runs, but lots of base hits.  Plus, the homes we have purchased are in very stable neighborhoods in communities within minutes of the I-95 corridor and easily commutable to Baltimore/Wilmington/Philadelphia.  We are pretty happy with the market and our investments/returns.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Feb 8 2021, 10:41
Originally posted by @Steven Jefferson:

Thanks for all the responses. I currently invest in the Harrisburg PA area. I would like to concentrate on b,c area's under 100k if possible. 

Under $100k will put you into the highest risk properties and locations not just in Maryland, but in some of the highest risk on the country.

Median Home price across the whole state is about $350k. So that gets you an average property in an average location. If you're buying a property 80% below the average, its going to have a quality of location, risk, and tenant quality about 20% of average.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Steven Jefferson
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Feb 8 2021, 10:56

thanks Again 

User Stats

Votes
Steven Jefferson
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Feb 8 2021, 11:02

Brian that is what I'm trying to accomplish. How do you get your properties. The mls or through wholesaler. I started investing in 2020. And bought the 2 Investments through the mls. I know you don't get the best deals from it but that's my only source for now

User Stats

Votes
Michael Cross
Pro Member
  • Smithsburg, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Smithsburg, MD
Replied Feb 8 2021, 14:34

I invest in Franklin County PA right near the Maryland line and those numbers and doable there too. Like @Brandon Turner has said a bunch of times in podcasts, look for a radius of 2 hours and in nearly every part of the country you can find a market that works for you without going into a super rough area. Check out a number of markets and find one that feels right for you and move forward.

User Stats

Votes
Heather Carrow
  • Realtor
  • Ocean City, MD
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Ocean City, MD
Replied Feb 8 2021, 16:06

@Brian Tome

I also invest in Cecil County! I'd love to get together and "talk shop" sometime if you're up to it! I was born and raised here. Just got into the game, but my partner and I have been aggressively searching for our first deal. It's a tough market right now for sure.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Tome
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Worton, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Worton, MD
Replied Feb 9 2021, 04:51

@Steven Jefferson - We find properties through our own yellow letter campaigns.  I send a few hundred at a time until I find someone who wants to sell their property.  They are usually very rough and need major rehab.  We also picked up four from the children of an investor after he passed.  The estate administrator contacted my realtor wife about selling them, but opted to sell to us as a group.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Tome
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Worton, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Worton, MD
Replied Feb 9 2021, 04:55

@Heather Carrow - Anytime.  My wife Sheila is a realtor also, so you might already know her.  She is very active and one of the top sellers in the County.  She just moved from Long & Foster to Keller Williams and is in the process of getting her Delaware license.  We have a rehab project going in Elkton, in addition to the fixer upper that is our current home in Worton (Kent County).

User Stats

Votes
Steven Jefferson
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Feb 9 2021, 09:16

@Brian Tome-Can I message you. I would like to know more about your yellow letter campaign 

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Bush
  • New to Real Estate
  • Fort Washington, MD
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Fort Washington, MD
Replied Feb 12 2021, 22:08

Is La plata, MD a good area to invest in?

User Stats

Votes
Heather Carrow
  • Realtor
  • Ocean City, MD
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Ocean City, MD
Replied Feb 14 2021, 15:31

@Brian Tome that is awesome!! I don’t know her, unfortunately. I am a new agent and investor. I just got licensed at the end of last year and we are looking for our first investment property. Where in Elkton is your latest investment property located? I’d love to get together sometime. I need some more local friends in the business😊

User Stats

Votes
Brian Tome
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Worton, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Worton, MD
Replied Jun 25 2023, 11:45
Quote from @Brian Tome:

@Steven Jefferson - We invest in Cecil County, Maryland and we are looking to move toward Kent County as well.  We do BRRRRs and often get in for a total that is right around $100K ($105-130K with purchase and reno) for a property that appraises for $140-180K and rents for $1250-1650 per month.  We leave some cash in some of our properties and get more than we put into some of them on the refinance.

After 3 years we have 7 properties generating $3000 a month cash flow on an investment of $300K.  We have 15 year notes on each of the properties and the total portfolio is worth right around $1M of which we have $450K and growing in equity.  So we are getting about a 10% cash on cash return with another roughly 12% on equity pay down.

As you can see we haven't hit any home runs, but lots of base hits.  Plus, the homes we have purchased are in very stable neighborhoods in communities within minutes of the I-95 corridor and easily commutable to Baltimore/Wilmington/Philadelphia.  We are pretty happy with the market and our investments/returns.

As an update, our strategy remains the same and we now have 12 properties with 19 doors generating around $8000/mo. on the same original $300K investment with approx. $1.5M in equity.

In addition, we built about $500K in equity by buying and restoring a distressed property as our primary.  We have discussed selling it to realize the Sec. 121 non-taxable gain, but we love the property and the neighbors so much we might just stay.

Kudos to BiggerPockets and the community of contributors for giving us the encouragement and education to take the leap.  We are never going back!