Broken tiles in basement have asbestos- not sure how to proceed

7 Replies

Hello to all!

I have an offer on a duplex in Ohio, inspection was done and the tiles in the basement are likely asbestos.

All of the forum topics I could find deal with asbestos that is not broken-

These in the basement however ARE broken in several places..

So I'm wondering if anyone has been in the situation and what they have done?

Should I ask the seller to remove the asbestos? Remove and check the rest of the house?

Should I not even bother and find another deal? The house is currently rented with two tenants.

My fear is that if I have the seller fix it.. they could still hold me liable for illness that happens later..  if it does.

Wondering if anyone else has been in the situation and what they have done? If it worked out for them or not?

Thanks!

JD, just have to work this into the numbers.  You can get the tiles professionally removed, however, it is very expensive, but well worth keeping yourself and your tenants safe.  Before assuming they are all asbestos and forgetting the deal, get them tested in a lab, I'm from Ohio and I was able to have tile in the ceiling and tile tested for $50 total, took about 3 days to get results back.  If it does come back positive, get a quote on professional removal before buying the house, it will most likely be a few thousand dollars, depending on how big the area is and if they find any other areas with asbestos.  If the numbers still work, close the deal, if not, renegotiate with the seller and see if they'll cover the cost of removal, or remove decrease the purchase price by the amount it'll take to remove them. Don't let the asbestos scare you away from the deal, just work it into the numbers!

Originally posted by @JD Mims :

Hello to all!

I have an offer on a duplex in Ohio, inspection was done and the tiles in the basement are likely asbestos.

All of the forum topics I could find deal with asbestos that is not broken-

These in the basement however ARE broken in several places..

So I'm wondering if anyone has been in the situation and what they have done?

Should I ask the seller to remove the asbestos? Remove and check the rest of the house?

Should I not even bother and find another deal? The house is currently rented with two tenants.

My fear is that if I have the seller fix it.. they could still hold me liable for illness that happens later..  if it does.

Wondering if anyone else has been in the situation and what they have done? If it worked out for them or not?

Thanks!

Hose it down, get some gloves and some trash bags. Better yet, have your handyman do it. Asbestos is a great material to work with. It is extremely durable. Just done eat it. Same thing with lead paint. Do not eat the paint.

*Please note this is not legal advice.

The safest thing - virtually always - with asbestos is to leave it in place and encapsulate it. Once you know it is asbestos you cannot just toss it into the trash, so if you get it tested and find out that's what it is don't mess with it from there because it has to go to hazardous materials I think at 1% or more. So the safe (and legal) thing to do: spray down any loose/broken tiles with some water so that they don't have dust, wear a high-filtration dust mask and gloves, put them in the trash and then your gloves with them, then you have a floating floor installed over the tiles. Now they're encapsulated and problem solved. Asbestos isn't harmful if you don't disturb it or leave it where it can become airborne. 

@JD Mims

Do some research. Short term exposure, like taking up floor tiles, has such a slim chance of making you sick, especially if you wear a mask.

Don’t sand it, don’t eat it, don’t lick it. Put a mask on, take those tiles up and put them in heavy duty trash bags, and put them out for garbage.