Direct mail marketing and bandit signs

18 Replies

Are there any legal issues with direct mail marketing? I’m in Houston, Texas.

What about bandit signs?

I'll get even more specific.  List of 1,000 names from a list source, filtered on years in residence and equity in the home.  $850 for the list.  $56 for the envelopes.  $115 for the stamps.  Three weeks to hand write the "golden letters", with content that came directly from one of the "gurus" at our market center.  So writer's cramp, 3 weeks of time, and $1,021 invested.  Zero responses.

One of us is trying to give investors an unrealistic expectation of what a similar effort will net them, and that one isn't me.

Great feedback everyone. I think I saw someone here say that they were successful in their dm campaign by targeting only property owners from a dfd list

I wonder if chances for responses will also increase if targeting vacant properties or landlords? Propstream has some nice filters for this…

I thought I heard there is a do not mail list somewhere? Is that not true?

Originally posted by @Ronald Allen Barney :

I'll get even more specific.  List of 1,000 names from a list source, filtered on years in residence and equity in the home.  $850 for the list.  $56 for the envelopes.  $115 for the stamps.  Three weeks to hand write the "golden letters", with content that came directly from one of the "gurus" at our market center.  So writer's cramp, 3 weeks of time, and $1,021 invested.  Zero responses.

One of us is trying to give investors an unrealistic expectation of what a similar effort will net them, and that one isn't me.

An $850 list should have given you thousands of owner addresses. You can't expect too much from a mailing of $115 in stamps.

Sorry Ronald,  I read a sweeping  all inclusive statement as if it were speaking for all. If I was wrong in correcting that, I apologize. Your particular DM "effort" had not been presented previously,  but it's easy to see why it did not work out as others have pointed out.

I'm sorry you way overpaid for your list, but most can tell you just one and done isn't going to produce much...what we're talking about is not much like a vending machine; more like farming. That's true of most types of marketing.

And I'm really sorry a "guru" led you astray with a golden letter.

There is no silver bullet, no mystery or magic. Just persistent and consistent best practice. The fact is that I and many others have been successful with DM. The #1 reason most fail is that they quit too soon.

I currently have at least a half dozen KW clients running successful campaigns across the Country. You are welcome to check my references if you believe I am misleading anyone, which I believe you implied.

Would it be fair to say that presenting something as if it is true in all circumstances without qualification is a bit misleading?

Originally posted by @Jerry Puckett :
Originally posted by @Ronald Allen Barney:

Sorry Ronald,  I read a sweeping  all inclusive statement as if it were speaking for all. If I was wrong in correcting that, I apologize. Your particular DM "effort" had not been presented previously,  but it's easy to see why it did not work out as others have pointed out.

I'm sorry you way overpaid for your list, but most can tell you just one and done isn't going to produce much...what we're talking about is not much like a vending machine; more like farming. That's true of most types of marketing.

And I'm really sorry a "guru" led you astray with a golden letter.

There is no silver bullet, no mystery or magic. Just persistent and consistent best practice. The fact is that I and many others have been successful with DM. The #1 reason most fail is that they quit too soon.

I currently have at least a half dozen KW clients running successful campaigns across the Country. You are welcome to check my references if you believe I am misleading anyone, which I believe you implied.

Would it be fair to say that presenting something as if it is true in all circumstances without qualification is a bit misleading?

"Not one and done", where the one cost > $1,000 and got zero leads, do you see where the math is going here? And this is supposed to encourage investors to spend on that scale? Or even encourage me for that matter? Let's see the ROI the KW clients got. Dollars in, leads out. Black out the names if that's better confidentiality, just show me numbers.

Great @Ronald Allen Barne, perfectect.

I'll get ahold of you this week and fill in the blanks for you. After, if you like what you see, come back here and post about it. Meantime, I have more than 7 dozen positive reviews in my profile from Real BP members I've made money for. 

@Ben M, sorry we sorta hijacked your thread....I'll come back when the weekend's over to answer the other couple questions you asked.

Originally posted by @Jerry Puckett :

Great @Ronald Allen Barne, perfectect.

I'll get ahold of you this week and fill in the blanks for you. After, if you like what you see, come back here and post about it. Meantime, I have more than 7 dozen positive reviews in my profile from Real BP members I've made money for. 

@Ben M, sorry we sorta hijacked your thread....I'll come back when the weekend's over to answer the other couple questions you asked.

Hi Jerry, no worries. I appreciate the helpful feedback. I am looking at dm type of marketing after finding out about legal issues with sms or cold calling. 

Originally posted by @Jerry Puckett:

"Not one and done", where the one cost > $1,000 and got zero leads, do you see where the math is going here? And this is supposed to encourage investors to spend on that scale? Or even encourage me for that matter? Let's see the ROI the KW clients got. Dollars in, leads out. Black out the names if that's better confidentiality, just show me numbers.

The math I see is that only one touch was sent to each prospect which = one and done in marketing terms. 

Again, I'm sorry that you spent a lot of money following a plan that did not use best practices. Buying a list envelopes and stamps does not make you a marketer any more than owning a crescent wrench makes me a plumber.

Math aside....Has anyone out there thought they'd save money doing something DIY then ended up paying a professional to fix something? I sure have. Messing up my plumbing was a wake up call for me and did not lead me to say plumbing or crescent wrenches don't work. 

I was happy to share with you. The attitude is getting really off putting. 

Where are you paying $850 dollars for a 1,000 names? Those prices are insane. You could get 10,000 names a month for $99 on any of the REI software programs.

Also where are you getting 1000 stamps for $115. That's incredibly cheap.

I'm a little confused by these prices.......

Originally posted by @Jason Brown :

Where are you paying $850 dollars for a 1,000 names? Those prices are insane. You could get 10,000 names a month for $99 on any of the REI software programs.

Also where are you getting 1000 stamps for $115. That's incredibly cheap.

I'm a little confused by these prices.......

It was about 1750 names and included email addresses for an email campaign as well.  directmail dot com is apparently a scam (20% of the email addresses were garbage too)

Miscalculated the stamps.  $11 for a book of 20, 50 books was my give up point (writer's cramp at 1000 hand written "golden" letters), so $550 on stamps.  

I'm out of capital.  Nobody told me you had to be Warren F'in Buffet to get into this business.

@Jerry Puckett hope you don't mind me sharing the info you messaged me but I think it's of value to the original poster. A "do it right" direct mail campaign for RE agents takes an investment of about $7k but testimonials have stated a net profit increase of $50k based on that investment, which is good ROI. Doing it right is a repeated mailing campaign over a period of months and that frigging dinosaur that advocated "golden letters" in my market center, his name is mud to me now. Anyway when I get that level of capital built up (probably via a day job) I plan to try DM the right way. I do like mass marketing--when it works. More scalable than door-pounding, calling "friends", and writer's cramp.

@Ronald Allen Barney why don't you get started, and do a whole lot of practicing, by working your own personal network?

Make a list, contact them monthly and alternate contact methods between phone, text and email.

Everyone eventually knows someone looking to sell a house.

Originally posted by @Drew Sygit :

@Ronald Allen Barney why don't you get started, and do a whole lot of practicing, by working your own personal network?

Make a list, contact them monthly and alternate contact methods between phone, text and email.

Everyone eventually knows someone looking to sell a house.

That's a double whammy in my decision to have tried my hand as an agent here in Florida.  I'm brand new here and almost everyone I know is back in Minnesota.  Working on them for referral business but even that is slow-going.  The tiny size of my database drives my market center crazy, lol, but it is what it is.