• Hugo, MN
Votes |
Should I Sell or Should I Hold?

Matt J.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hugo, MN
Posted Jul 30 2021, 20:06

Hey BP. Have a house we're just about finished rehabbing up Duluth way. I'm all in for around $195,000. ARV back in March when I bought it was around $245,000 but the market's appreciated a ton since then and there's some comps nearby that support as high as $275,000. Keep in mind the appraisal was done on the house prior to it being fixed up and based on the scope of work my contractor had put together.

So, if I were able to sell it for $275,000, after paying realtor fees, capital gains, and the mortgage I have on it (construction loan of $192,000), I'd clear around $50,000. '

Keeping it as a long-term rental, I would be cash flowing around $425/month. At that rate, it would take me a little under 10 years to end up earning $50,000 in profits from cashflow. 

Now, I realize the other benefits of buy and hold including debt pay down, equity buildup, tax depreciation, all that jazz. I prefer to go buy-and-hold and have never done a flip. 

But that do you all think? How do you decide whether it makes sense to keep it long term or sell it for a quick-ish profit? 

Loading replies...