Increase Cash Flow with Refi or Sell with 1031 Exchange

Increase Cash Flow with Refi or Sell with 1031 Exchange

Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 13 votes

I am having a raging debate with myself over selling a condo using a 1031 exchange to buy a better cash flowing property – or – refinance down from 4.625% to 3.375% to get it better cash flowing.

The condo is in a very nice, expensive area but not the best for cash-flow which is less than $50/month. I used $150k from a 1031 exchange to purchase it in 2006. A few years later as the housing bubble burst it went down in value. It’s steadily going back up but would sell for about $75k less than I paid. Ironically, I would walk away with what I put in - $150k.

I would like to buy a SFH or preferably a duplex where the monthly cash flow could be about $150 - $200. Numbers from my banker show that a refi for 30yr fixed would result in me cash flowing about that same amount. But that is extending my debt and I am not sure it's the smartest thing to do.

It’s a good time to refinance. It’s a good time to sell. But it’s a bad time to buy. I feel like I have brain fog and keep going in circles.

I would greatly appreciate someone telling me how they would analyze this and what do they think they might do in this situation. Thanks in advance!

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Financial Advisor · Portland, OR · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 21 votes
5y

Would the duplex cost more than the condo? I'm guessing most likely. If so, then the condo would be less total debt. It's usually a good idea to have a lower fixed interest rate. As well, it would take a good amount of time for you to get another property, and having a cheaper condo with the same cash flow, and no additional work makes more sense. Keep it simple, and try not to stress about getting more property. It can make you desperate and that can mean a bad investment.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Financial Advisor · Portland, OR · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 21 votes
    5y

    Would the duplex cost more than the condo? I'm guessing most likely. If so, then the condo would be less total debt. It's usually a good idea to have a lower fixed interest rate. As well, it would take a good amount of time for you to get another property, and having a cheaper condo with the same cash flow, and no additional work makes more sense. Keep it simple, and try not to stress about getting more property. It can make you desperate and that can mean a bad investment.

  • Financial Advisor · Portland, OR · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 21 votes
    5y

    In addition, if you want to analyze and compare them; 

    1. You would want to figure out the total cost of the refinance

    2. Calculate the monthly additional cash flow you would have, multiply it by 12 to find the annual cash flow

    3. Divide step 2 by step 1. What is the return? 

    Ask yourself, is that return good enough for you? Can you get more return (both in percentage and total cash return) by buying a duplex? 

  • Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    @Chad Duncan thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed - steps to make a more informed decision. 

    The new place would be much less than the current. And you are right about not wanting to feel the stress that happens with a 1031 and getting desperate because of the timeline.  Also, I have concerns about contractors having the time to quickly get the new place rentable. In the DMV they are very busy.

    Anyway, I'll do the math and make a decision. Thanks again!

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    @Rhonda Davis That's the poison pill of 1031 investing - the best time to sell is the worst time to buy (a sellers market).  But the best time to buy is also the worst time to sell (a buyers market).  You're going to have that challenge no matter when your contemplating a sale.

    So the key is something you hinted at in your op.  Don't sell because it's high or low.  Sell for other reasons and let them guide you.  the analysis between refi and 1031 by @Chad Duncan is an awesome start.  And you definitely want to look at the impact to cash flow if you refi.  

    But what you said is worth some deep thought as well - You own a condo and want to own a duplex or SFH. Changing sector is a very valid reason. So is avoiding potential HOA issues, or deferred cap ex, or to get in the path of growth or appreciation.

    The key is that something is nagging you about that condo.  If that's the case ruminate on that because a refi is going to leave that in your portfolio.  and you may just be subconsciously wanting to get rid of it more.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    The main thing really is cash flow. I could get more house for less money in PG County, than here in Alexandria. And in that area I would be cash flowing nicely. My place is nice and I've had no problems. Looking for more CoC ROI and not getting stagnated.

    It looks like it's best to refinance now. At some point, I am still able to buy a place in PG County.

    Thanks for the advise @Dave Foster

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 63 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    I've helped a number of investors 1031 into a passive investment with 12-14% returns annually - paid out monthly. Happy to share details if that level of cash flow is interesting to you.

  • Cassidy BurnsBusiness Member
    Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2016 · 859 posts · 460 votes
    5y

    Hey @Rhonda Davis I always go back to my monthly NOI goals when the properties are all paid off. But again, that's what my goal is, to have a large percentage of my portfolio paid off so my NOI is high and can use the cash flow and open up LOCs on the properties for low % interest so if I do need the capital for an emergency or another opportunity to buy a good deal.

    In your case I would say to sell the condo and 1031 exchange into an asset you really believe in (location , location, location ! ) 

    Good luck! 

  • Sam YinPro Member
    Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2021 · 583 posts · 738 votes
    5y

    More units means more upside in the long run. If the cost is equal or slightly greater, going from a condo to a SFR, 2plex, 3plex, or 4 plex is a no brainer. Even if the cash flow is the same or slightly lower.

    Think of it:

    Resale

    Rent raise (multiplied by X)

    Diversification

    This is only one perspective.  I think there are many ways to look at it, but that is the route I would take, given the opportunity.  As for the stress of the time line, I would attempt to locate and even lock in the next prospective properties before hand.  Always try to be a few moves ahead so you have room for the unknown.

  • Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    Thanks to you all for the feedback! I finally decided to refinance. This is such a crazy time for RE right now. I've found no good buys at all. Prices are just unreasonably high and I don't need to put this stress on myself with a 1031. Also, my contractors are crazy busy with more work than they can handle. Since I would buy a place needing work, that's more stress - getting it done timely.

    Numbers look good refinancing - cash flow will increase by nearly $200 monthly. Also, I have the resources to still buy a duplex, when I find the right place for the right price - in the right location.

    So, my decision is to hold on to this place for the appreciation, with a low fixed interest rate. Thanks again guys!

  • Sam YinPro Member
    Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2021 · 583 posts · 738 votes
    5y

    @Rhonda Davis OUTSTANDING!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.