• Spokane, WA
Votes |
Inspection Shows Roof Issues: Now What?

Manco Snead
  • Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Posted Oct 23 2021, 08:08

Greetings all,

Looking at buying my second rental property and hoping for some feedback on my current issue. With earnest money paid and inspection completed the inspection revealed some roof issues. This roof is new; 1 yr old. The ridge shingles are starting to lift; seems premature for a 1 yr old roof. Inspector agrees with me on this.  Inspector could also not access attic space to verify quality of sheathing and venting. Inspector states it appears from the outside that the dryer and/or bathrooms may vent into the attic space and not to outside; Vents for this are currently too few and the wrong type. I just paid ALOT on my other property to replace all sheathing because bathrooms had been venting into the attic space since property was built in 1976. Don't want to risk that again. The above issues may indicate an overall cheap roofing job.

The property is sold as-is.

How would you approach this? I want verification of sheathing quality, venting, along with repair estimates if needed with venting if I'm going to move forward with the deal.

Much thanks.

Loading replies...