Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Siah Hawton
Votes |
Is NNN lease a good first investment?

Siah Hawton
Posted Sep 29 2022, 06:02

I have been looking into investing in the commercial real estate space. Triple Net Leases have caught my eye as a good possible investment. I was wondering if this kind of investing is good for a novice or not? Especially with the perceived high capital barrier for entry along with large debt.

Also, suggestions on how to overcome the fear of making this kind of investment. 

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • SE Michigan
Replied Sep 29 2022, 07:29

It depends.

Most NNN lease deals are bigger, so very few newbies start there. They don't have the capital.

With NNN, you have less day to day responsibility than you would on other properties. On the other hand, you have more tenant-side risk because it can take longer to find a replacement tenant than in something like a single family house.

Some NNN leases are long-term leases which then also exposes you to the risk that inflation will outpace the rent increases.

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Brandon, SD
Replied Sep 29 2022, 07:31

NNN not as well-promoted as it is usually used in the commercial world and residential vastly eclipses it. NNN would be great for starting out on the financial ledger side of things. The risk to the landlord is very small as the tenant reimburses for almost all expenses. Time involved managing is less because many improvements and repairs are the tenant's responsibility.

The other side is the leasing and bookkeeping side. Leasing takes a lot more work because most commercial leases are 5-20 years and go under a lot more scrutiny than a 12 month residential tenancy. A good commercial broker would be handy, at least when starting out. They'll usually require 6% of the rents for the first term of the lease. Bookkeeping needs to be meticulous as you regularly pay bills, then send a bill to the tenant(s) to pay back. Though you can set it up so the tenant directly pays many of these, making a mistake can cause a big headache.

On the capital barrier side: You can buy small commercial properties, but tenants for smaller properties are more likely to demand a gross lease (more typical of residential leases) than a NNN lease.

On the fear question: Start evaluating deals every day. This is a great way to educate yourself on what is happening in the market and the terms that are asked. When you start making offers, you'll get to see the current leases in your area and how they are structured. Preparation is the best way to conquer that fear. Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Sep 29 2022, 07:43

NNN cap rates are lower, so usually a capital preservation move for the wealthy.

My comp would be 10yr treasury yields. As those approach 4%, they look more attractive than the same relative return without the work and risk of a NNN.

If this happens to be a motivated seller with a new 10yr+ lease with an anchor tenant selling 20% above market cap, that changes the discussion.  

User Stats

Votes
John McKee
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Sep 29 2022, 08:31

It's a great investment and that's how I started out. I would start with focusing on the retail condominium space as these are more affordable and then eventually graduate up to the bigger deals unless you have lots of capital. There is no fear if you buy in the right location and do your due diligence. My favorite part is the due diligence and underwriting the deals. It's all about the numbers such as traffic counts, demographics, and sales. PM me if you like. Nothing is more passive than NNN yet still gives you ownership, builds equity, and provides significant tax write offs.

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Sep 29 2022, 08:33

NNN is great. As mentioned, you'll typically need more capital to start. And deeper reserves if something breaks.

NNN is very broad. It covers, office, retail, industrial, etc. Figure out the location and asset sub type that you like. Look at deals every day. Build a team and pull the trigger.

I only invest in industrial NNN, have over 100,000 sq ft in DFW--fully leased. I'm not worried about inflation--I have time to adjust leases to market. My costs are all pass through in the meantime. I also have fixed debt.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Levy
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 29 2022, 08:37

I am looking at doing the same thing. Still trying to find the right property. Keep me posted when you find something!

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Sep 29 2022, 09:43
Quote from @Josh Levy:

I am looking at doing the same thing. Still trying to find the right property. Keep me posted when you find something!

What, more specifically, are you doing thats the same?

User Stats

Votes
Paul De Luca
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Sep 30 2022, 06:42

@Siah Hawton

For a novice, probably not. Like you said the biggest barrier to entry would probably be your capital but also your network.

I used to work in commercial property management and I helped manage an industrial portfolio for a large REIT fund. Pretty much all of their leases were triple net so it's relatively hands off except for things like major capital improvements. The returns were relatively low but stable overall. I think it's a smart, passive way to manage your investments.

• Real Estate Agent Illinois (#475.190985)

eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Sep 30 2022, 06:49

NNN leases are the gold standard in commercial real estate but there are a few problems 1) the cap rate will usually be low and so your return isn't going to be very high (usually) and 2) you usually only get NNN on stand alone or larger commercial properties, which are very capital intensive. Not really a newbie investment

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Sep 30 2022, 07:03

Its all about the numbers if there good then do it , Fear, connect with someone doing deals, learn then apply what you learn 

User Stats

Votes
Brock Mogensen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Oct 3 2022, 08:15

If you have the capital to buy a NNN deal, I think it is a great segment to focus on. Generally these deals are "easier" to operate as well. That being said, you will need to learn the fundamentals of what constitutes a good deal..its all about the leases.

User Stats

Votes
Melanie McDaniel
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 3 2022, 09:00

@Siah Hawton I love NNN, but as it is in all things, it depends. I would say everything is deal by deal, and nothing is the perfect asset class. Everything has its pros and cons, but I think the operator is the key piece. If you are the operator and you don't know what you are doing, I guess you have to ask yourself how much risk you are willing to take. You don't know what you don't know, but if you have liquidity and have a good head on your shoulders, NNN is pretty straightforward. Hire a lawyer to review the lease, and have at liquidity to hold the property if your tenant leaves in the middle of the night. If this is your first deal, I would consider finding a partner who knows what they are doing--the bank may require that anyway.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied Oct 3 2022, 19:54

Can't really comment without knowing your:

Annual income from your job or business?

Total net worth?

Total liquidity?

Talked to thousands of millionaires over the decades over the phone. They answer the above questions on my website form before we hop on a call. People asking about NNN space basically have theory and what they HOPE NNN will give them for passive real estate returns.

I am the hammer of REALISM telling it like it is and what to expect. I look at over 1,000 a week nationally. Good luck   

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 9 2022, 09:56

NNN is great, just make sure you know what you're buying. Commercial in Killeen sits on the market for 100 days+

Tenant are never consistent with payment 

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Oct 10 2022, 08:48
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

NNN is great, just make sure you know what you're buying. Commercial in Killeen sits on the market for 100 days+

To be fair, thats a risk you should know before buying in Killeen. Its a tiny market, not close enough to anything to matter. Plenty of 10-12 cap deals in Tyler, TX, Greenville, etc.

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 10 2022, 20:53
Quote from @Ronald Rohde:
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

To be fair, thats a risk you should know before buying in Killeen. Its a tiny market, not close enough to anything to matter. Plenty of 10-12 cap deals in Tyler, TX, Greenville, etc.

It's close enough to Austin, and residential get swallowed up in a heart beat 

User Stats

Votes
Josh Levy
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Oct 13 2022, 09:31
Quote from @Josh Levy:

I am looking to potentially invest in NNN commercial properties in the maximum $2million price range.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Levy
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Oct 13 2022, 09:37
Quote from @Josh Levy:

Looking in the retail and shopping center arena. That is our main focus at this time.

User Stats

Votes
Neil Cronkrite
  • Investor
  • Wheat Ridge, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Wheat Ridge, CO
Replied Mar 29 2023, 09:09

@Siah Hawton What's your ultimate investing goal? To work very hard and earn an appropriate return? Do you have a lot of cash to invest? Are you looking for management intensive or something more passive? Another question is: what are you interested in? I lost interest in residential and apartment investing. Never had my heart in it. But when I had ACL surgery, I suddenly was thrown into the world of NNN medical office investing. Now my investing asset class is closely aligned with my interests.

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Mar 30 2023, 07:37
Quote from @Josh Levy:
Quote from @Josh Levy:

Looking in the retail and shopping center arena. That is our main focus at this time.

Lots of opportunity in retail, who will do your leasing?

User Stats

Votes
Josh Levy
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 23 2023, 09:50

If the property manager in the location we find a property can handle the leasing, they will probably do it.