• Real Estate Agent
  • Addison, IL
Votes |
6 unit- potential 1st deal

Chris Herrera
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Addison, IL
Posted Jan 31 2016, 09:43

I'm looking at this 6 unit in a pretty good area that I think is a pretty good deal. It'd be my first deal though and I would likely need a partner help me with down payment/ managing the property and getting a commercial loan.

Purchase: 330K

Annual Rent: 62,000      Mortgage: 17k

Vacancy: 6,000   Taxes: 7,000  Insurance: 3,500  

Management: 6,300  Maintenance: 6,300  Utilities: 3,600

Reserves: 6lik,300

I would be managing it myself and maybe with a partner so that 6k would be saved for capital exp, even though the property has been maintained and looks to be rehabbed in the past 5 years. Neighborhood is a B area. Thoughts as a potential 1st deal? I'd likely try for a FHA commercial loan unless I can find an experienced investor that could provide more options to leverage this deal

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jan 31 2016, 15:14

Plusses are the area,  a better area may lead to a better tenant pool.  Basic numbers are ok but not specific enough to judge.   what is the vacancy/ what are the size of the units? is that type of unit in demand for the area?   why are the owners selling?  for the numbers  are the expenses actuals?  are the rents at market value? anything needs replacing now? what utilities do you pay?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jan 31 2016, 15:22

It's not a bad deal. My recommendation is to start with something you do not need a partner on. Not only will you be dealing with possibility of six tenants but also a partner. That can be a lot to handle for your first deal.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.