• Rental Property Investor
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
Virtual Office Business

David Dachtera
  • Rockford, IL
Posted Jan 31 2016, 18:34

Wondering if anyone has experience doing a virtual office business in purchased commercial space...

My investing group needs a new home and I'd like to be able to have a business and building which supports itself and has room to offer to lease to them or some other arrangement.

I'm thinking virtual office space might be a good business to do that in. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the business.

For example,

How much space does your facility have?

How many offices? How big are they (range)?

What amenities does your facility offer? (Catering, lunch rooms, WiFi, etc.)

How do you charge for space, availability and usage?

What kind of liability insurance do you carry?

... and any other relevant info you'd care to volunteer.

Thanx in advance.

David J Dachtera

"Success is not a destination. Failure is not an event. Success is a process, failure is a choice."
- DJ Benedict

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Toth
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Jan 31 2016, 19:29

David Dachtera while I don't operate one of these, there are several flex space offerings here in Charleston. Besides the local Chamber offering a free work space, they also offer conference rooms and catering at reasonable daily rates.

As part of their package, if you have an active Chamber membership, you're able to use the working space (some tables, chairs, lounge area with projection TV, coffee and soda refreshments. There are no computers but I think there is printer copier available.

Some of the other spaces I have seen around town charge by the hour and another does monthly rates. Those offer private "offices", or cubicles to work from and some personal support from business consultants and experienced startup teams focused on raising money.

Personally, I like the idea of charging a flat membership fee monthly, allowing some free use of the space, and charging for more advanced services like catering, private conference rooms, consulting, tax and accounting etc. If you were savvy about it, you could provide remote office workers and startups all the resources they would need to get off the ground at what would feel like very low rates.

The membership is also good because by nature, people like to feel apart of something rather than simply paying rent.

Good luck!

Ryan

User Stats

Votes
David Dachtera
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
  • Rockford, IL
Replied Jan 31 2016, 20:11

Thanx much, @Ryan Toth!

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.