Skip to content
Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Blackburn
  • Wholesaler/ Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Re-platting of a residential lot to a commercial lot question...

Benjamin Blackburn
  • Wholesaler/ Investor
  • Houston, TX
Posted May 22 2016, 17:01

Hello everyone,

I have a vacant lot in a C-class neighborhood that I'm thinking about turning into a mini RV park (not trailer park).  The city is saying that in order for me to do that i would have to get the lot re-platted by a surveyor(quoted 6k) and then we might be able to go through with our plans.  I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with re-platting vacant land?

Thank you very much!

User Stats

Votes
Katie Neason
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bryan, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bryan, TX
Replied May 22 2016, 17:37

that is an interesting response from the city.  Every city is different and your officials would know best but you need to be zoned to allow for your desired use which is a completely separate issue from replatting.    It could be that those have to happen simultaneously or one slightly ahead of the other to get the end purpose accomplish.  When we rezone  property in our city, I set up a meeting with the city staff that handles development services which includes the city engineer, fire marshal, and city planner to discuss our ideas and what obstacles they foresee, understand the process, and find out how other rezonings have gone in the area.   Technically the city does not have to support you rezoning the property for it to pass but it is an uphill battle and one you will likely lose if the city doesn't support your project. At least that's what I have found. If you are in a city that isn't very open to meetings and sitting down to talk I would find a local civil and talk to him about your ideas. He will understand the process with the city and can give you a proposal of cost and timeline. 

User Stats

Votes
Chet Mazur
  • Flipper
  • Cupertino, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper
  • Cupertino, CA
Replied May 23 2016, 07:05

I would expect to have to make a tentative map and possible a subdivision map, depending on what I was doing. I wonder if the is a terminology issue governing body. 

As Kaite said, I would also expect a change to the zoning (at least) and maybe the general                   plan.

Ask if you can use a PD, PUD, Planned development process which is the "new more flexible way to do this", even though it's going to be commercial, not condos or residential.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Blackburn
  • Wholesaler/ Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler/ Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 31 2016, 20:49

@Chet Mazur and @Katie Neason thank you very much for the info.  I'm still in the process of gathering more info.  i will be going downtown sometime this week to talk to some city workers.