Skip to content
Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Gillian Thackray
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
NNN v. other commercial - which really has the best returns?

Gillian Thackray
  • Rental Property Investor
Posted May 17 2021, 09:07

Hi Everyone - 

Thanks for all your valuable discussion and willingness to share advice.  Tapping into the wisdom and thinking of folks who have greater perspective/different perspective and experience is so very valuable. 

Here's my question:

Courtesy of an upcoming property sale and 1031 exchange, I have a sizable chunk of equity to invest. Figuring out what strategy to use and weighing either putting it all in an absolute NNN property or splitting into two properties that are commercial office and multi-family as a way to diversify. Planning to buy and hold for quite a while if I get it right - what with 1031 possibly being gone and also just the work to find and make transactions, want to put the money somewhere it can stay for a long while.

I know absolute NNN gets lower cap rates that the other types, and I'm not afraid of some hands on management (have managed SFR for more than 10 years) but what I am trying to figure out is if the somewhat better cash flow (cash on cash) from the commercial/multifamily actually balances out to about the same returns as the absolute NNN once you account for the maintenance, leasing agent fees, etc. that one will incur over a 10-20 year time frame OR if the total returns are better for the commercial/multifamily provided one is willing to put in the time to manage them.

In other words, NNN gets much lower cash flow, the others higher - so NNN seems like you make less money but is that really true over the long term? The others require more work, and possibly more investment along the way. What is the experience of those on these forums - after, say 20 years, are they all about even or will one of those investing strategies leave me with greater *wealth* (i.e. not just cash flow, but also appreciation). Realize that can vary by location so assume same location.

Thanks very much - look forward to the replies. 

Loading replies...