Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dong Eun Kim
Votes |
REO (real estate owned) property where the previous owner live in

Dong Eun Kim
Posted Apr 20 2022, 22:56

Hi, 

I found a property with a great potential in a very nice location in Berkeley, CA. The property is on the market for 2 months. After getting disclosure, I found that it is REO where an old lady, previous owner refuses to leave the house. The bank got the house in 2019, but she used Covid eviction rule and has lived in over 3 years. The eviction was ruled but she appealed to the court to maximize her staying.

Here, my question is whether there is anyone who has a similar experience. And how long does the appeal process take and let her move out? Do you think that it is a crazy idea to buy it? 

User Stats

Votes
Greg San Martin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Berkeley, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Berkeley, CA
Replied Apr 21 2022, 05:53

No comment on existing "tenant."

Would the home be owner occupied or a rental? Does it have ADU potential? Under Measure Q, rent control would not apply if owner occupied one unit after ADU is built. The exemption extends to eviction controls in most if not all properties.

Rents have been flat for a few years.  And Berkeley remains very anti-small landlord.  Rules often get changed behind closed doors and without notice.  Building would be expensive. Tenants control the ballot box so expect wealth transfer measures to become even more outlandish. If you leave the owners unit vacant, or rent it, you lose the exemptions 

Still, if I were starting out, I'd consider building and living in the ADU and renting the larger house. It is nice to have options.

Berkeley Measure Q

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Crinnion
  • Realtor
  • Walnut Creek
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Walnut Creek
Replied May 10 2022, 17:53

I agree with Greg San Martin, building an ADU on a property is a great opportunity. I am currently adding an ADU to my place in Walnut Creek and plan to rent it out short term (30 day minimum in my area) in part to try and avoid any potential long term tenant issues. My uncle has or had some rentals in the Oakland area and he always complained about them because of the rental laws and his inability to increase rent or remove tenants that were destroying the place.

I rented a place in San Francisco where the primary tenant was illegally subleasing out rooms and charging significantly more than he was paying to the home owner, all because it was a rent controlled unit. I understand the idea behind rent control and creating some stability for renters, but it seems like the laws in SF in particular aren't having their intended results. 

With that said if you're looking for a place to buy and build an ADU we should connect.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Garlington
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Replied May 11 2022, 08:49
Quote from @Dong Eun Kim:

Hi, 

I found a property with a great potential in a very nice location in Berkeley, CA. The property is on the market for 2 months. After getting disclosure, I found that it is REO where an old lady, previous owner refuses to leave the house. The bank got the house in 2019, but she used Covid eviction rule and has lived in over 3 years. The eviction was ruled but she appealed to the court to maximize her staying.

Here, my question is whether there is anyone who has a similar experience. And how long does the appeal process take and let her move out? Do you think that it is a crazy idea to buy it? 

If you are able to be very, very patient then it could be a good opportunity, however.....you still have not said how much it is going for. I am very familiar with Berkeley and recently someone came to me with a similar scenario. We looked at the comps and the REO actually was a decent, but not great price. Factor in that they literally had no idea when they could potentially move in to the property because of a similar "tenant" situation and it just wasn't worth the risk.

As an aside I expect to see more of this sort of situation coming up by this time next year here in the East Bay.